When will it end

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamwojo

Last pre-trial meeting with the attorneys (Supreme Court) the attorneys were kicked out by the Judge. My expectation is that they should know what the judge will require, that is a whole other issue.

We had a legal separation that looked like it would not hold up due to a technicality (actual dollar amounts of my wife and my income was not included, just estimates.) She has accepted 850/month. I have the kids 55%, her 45%. Shared parenting in NY=the higher income parent pays a portion to the other, I'm ok with this. I pay for catholic school for the 3 kids. I pay insurance and medications/co-pays. In the separation we agreed upon division of property, but really didn't discuss debt entirely, but agreed that each of our own credit cards or dept would be paid individually.

Over the past several years we both received money from our parents. She is now saying her dad's money was a loan in the tune of about 53K. My dad can show about 80k. My dad's money was in part given to purchase a commercial building which my business operated. She received income from this, but now argues against, etc etc.

Bottom line is if she now wants to argue petty amounts of debt(its really a wash or in her favor), but can the property also be re-distributed? I want to get through this divorce although it looks like it will never end. I want to push back a bit to see if its just the attorney trying to either drag it out or nickle and dime me. We sold our home for a small loss, she retained nearly all furniture, vehicle, time share and my dad wrote her a check for 10k for down payment on her new home as her dad finally woke up and cut her off. I think overwelmingly she got more property and I got more debt. I asked my dad to help her with the down payment because I wanted her to have a safe place for her and children when she has them. (I also think this could be considered marital property.) By the way I rent. Thanks.

Last pre-trial meeting with the attorneys (Supreme Court) the attorneys were kicked out by the Judge. My expectation is that they should know what the judge will require, that is a whole other issue.

We had a legal separation that looked like it would not hold up due to a technicality (actual dollar amounts of my wife and my income was not included, just estimates.) She has accepted 850/month. I have the kids 55%, her 45%. Shared parenting in NY=the higher income parent pays a portion to the other, I'm ok with this. I pay for catholic school for the 3 kids. I pay insurance and medications/co-pays. In the separation we agreed upon division of property, but really didn't discuss debt entirely, but agreed that each of our own credit cards or dept would be paid individually.

Over the past several years we both received money from our parents. She is now saying her dad's money was a loan in the tune of about 53K. My dad can show about 80k. My dad's money was in part given to purchase a commercial building which my business operated. She received income from this, but now argues against, etc etc.

Bottom line is if she now wants to argue petty amounts of debt(its really a wash or in her favor), but can the property also be re-distributed? I want to get through this divorce although it looks like it will never end. I want to push back a bit to see if its just the attorney trying to either drag it out or nickle and dime me. We sold our home for a small loss, she retained nearly all furniture, vehicle, time share and my dad wrote her a check for 10k for down payment on her new home as her dad finally woke up and cut her off. I think overwelmingly she got more property and I got more debt. I asked my dad to help her with the down payment because I wanted her to have a safe place for her and children when she has them. (I also think this could be considered marital property.) By the way I rent. Thanks.

I didn't see a question.
I inferred one, however.

Are you concerned about the lengthy proceeding?

Don't be.
Some divorces can be litigated for a year or more, before settlements are reached.
Speak with your attorney about when this nightmare could end.
He/she will know more than anyone on this forum.

You also seem to wonder if HER attorney is keeping this mess going.
Yes, that happens.
Again, discuss this and any other concern with the counsel you've retained.
He/she knows more than any of us could know about your case.

One general rule to think about: The more you give in, the more the other party will want. Sometimes you have to take a stand, draw a line in the sand, and just say NO!

Just hang on and hang tough.
This too shall one day pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back