When renting a room for services rendered and small monthly fee

Status
Not open for further replies.

GypsyforJesus

I have a question about what is and is not supported by courts in a rental agreement for a room rental in exchange for services and small monthly monetary payment.

I need some help fixing up a home that my mother owns and I have moved into. The house is a beautiful old civil war era home dating back to the late 1800's but was modified from colonial to victorian so it could not be added to the Nation Register of Historical Homes so that knocks me out of any grants offered for restoation or repairs on historical home.The house has sat empty for many years and needs some work and TLC. I absolutaly love this house and want to get in back in shape and keep the community looking good as well. My problem is the money that t talke to get the work done. I am a currently in an online college and trying to get my SSI because of back disabilities. (Broke to say the least) Eventually I plan to rent out the extra 3 or 4 bedrooms to vetrans or disabled people that are able to care for themselves but cant afford all the costs of runnng a home. But for the time being I want to rent out one room to someone and charge them say $100.00 a month to cover the extra water, sewage and electricity plus services rendered including but not limited to help with the things that I can not do by my self for instance replacing windows ans casings, I know how to do it I just can't do it alone. My question pertains to my rental agreement. I want to make it a month to month agreement that can be renewed untill the project is finished and upon completion the renter has the option to stay and rent at regular price on either weekly terms or monthly terms with no deposit required. Is that legal and how would that be classified as a border or a tenent. And last but not least Will I have to do a full eviction if the renter breaks the contract by not paying or for instance has drugs in my home (of course that will be one of the tenent rules in the rental agreement) I want to be a fair landlord but I also am a single woman that refuses to be run over. I treat people fairly and expect the same no matter what a persons past I give everyone the same respect as long as they do the same. But I am a landlord and employer.

First the good news, you don't have a legal problem, yet!

If you persist in this very dangerous financial folly, you'll have financial, legal, and more medical problems.
The additional medical problems could be the result of an attack about your person late one evening while you're asleep.

Who would sign up to rent a room for $100 and do labor repairs?
Probably drug addicts, people with poor credit, people with mental and emotional issues, the active criminal element, and convicted felons.

You can't afford it (as my friend "disagreeable" says), and the proposed $100.00 a month rental payment (plus labor) is an idea that you need to forget about and NEVER think about again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back