When I turn 18 can I transfer schools on my own

catladycx

I am currently a 17 year old female living in Texas under the guardianship of family friends. My mother was no longer able to support me and is moving away where she can start over but she still has legal parental rights to make any decisions regarding myself. I am seeking to leave my guardians almost as soon as I turn 18 and live with my boyfriend and his family. The problem being, I am already going to be enrolled in school by the time I turn 18 in November. I was wondering, if I am 18 can I transfer schools around that time? Like I said, my mother is moving away so she wouldn't be able to transfer schools for me.. Can I do it on my own? Can I put my boyfriend's parents on my school information such as emergancy contacts, permission slip signing, etc.? I really need to know this.

I am currently a 17 year old female living in Texas under the guardianship of family friends. My mother was no longer able to support me and is moving away where she can start over but she still has legal parental rights to make any decisions regarding myself. I am seeking to leave my guardians almost as soon as I turn 18 and live with my boyfriend and his family. The problem being, I am already going to be enrolled in school by the time I turn 18 in November. I was wondering, if I am 18 can I transfer schools around that time? Like I said, my mother is moving away so she wouldn't be able to transfer schools for me.. Can I do it on my own? Can I put my boyfriend's parents on my school information such as emergancy contacts, permission slip signing, etc.? I really need to know this.

Yes, you can make all of your life decisions at age 18, but when you do start flexing your 18 year old muscles, flapping them 18 year old wings, and jaw jacking that 18 year old mouth, be prepared for other adults to tell you, pay your own way, ADULT FEMALE.

If you are allowed to transfer from (for example) XISD to QISD. its up to QISD if they allow you to do so.
Usually you must reside within QISD to attend schools at QISD with a few RARE exceptions.

At age 18, your mother or father, nor is any other adult required to be listed on your school records.
In Texas, and other states, at age 18, you are free to manage your affairs.

In fact, you could drop out of achool the day you turn age 18, enroll in community college, join the air force, start a business, do anything adults do, EXCEPT buy and/or drink alcoholic beverages.

Last edited:
Back