When can I choose who I live with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sugarplum

my parents got a divorce almost 3 years ago, and because I didn't have a choice at the time, I have been living with my mom in Ontario since then. I have tried many things to get her to let me move back with my dad, who lives in Colorado, but she won't even talk to me about it.
Custody laws aren't easy to negotiate when there are multiple countries involved, but my friend told me about the emancipation law.
I was wondering if that law lets you choose which parent to live with once you are a certain age. if it does, what age is it?

And to be brutally honest about it, the court isn't even going to want to be involved in this one. Mom has custody, Mom took you to Ontario, that's where you're going to stay until you're no longer under the reach of family court.

I'd like to nip something in the bud before it starts:

Dad will not be successful in modifying custody. And you don't meet any criteria, anywhere, related to emancipation.

The age of majority (when you are no longer a minor) is also 18 in Ontario. When you are 18, you can live where you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back