What to incorporate crowdfunding website as?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drags

I want to start a crowdfunding website where people can raise money for whatever cause they seem important, including legislation. What type of company should I file this as? I am not concerned about making a living from this. Would this qualify for a 501c3 since the lobbying is executed by a member of the website? What if these funds constitute less than 20% of expenditures? Should this become a 501c4 instead so there is no limit on lobbying? What about a benefit corporation or a flexible purpose corporation? I want to start this company out as small as possible and in California, so what would the requirements be for things such as the board of directors, if it is required at all (for the benefit corp. and flexible purpose corp.)?

The purpose of the company is what makes a company qualify or not qualify as a 501(c)(3) company. The company's purpose is not for lobbying. As per the IRS:

Exempt Purposes - Internal Revenue Code Section 501(c)(3)

The exempt purposes set forth in section 501(c)(3) are charitable, religious, educational, scientific, literary, testing for public safety, fostering national or international amateur sports competition, and preventing cruelty to children or animals. The term charitable is used in its generally accepted legal sense and includes relief of the poor, the distressed, or the underprivileged; advancement of religion; advancement of education or science; erecting or maintaining public buildings, monuments, or works; lessening the burdens of government; lessening neighborhood tensions; eliminating prejudice and discrimination; defending human and civil rights secured by law; and combating community deterioration and juvenile delinquency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back