What to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whanow

What is the name of your state? New York

In a nut shell...

I've lived in my current residence since 2002. Periodically leaving for weeks or months at a time.

My sister moved in around November of 2007

I left February 2008, I returned June 2008

I return home to find my locks changed and most of my possessions gone

My sister who lives upstairs in a seperate home. This a two family ranch house.

My sister has changed my locks and claimed to have kept and sold some of my things. She said that I left for more than 3 months "abandoning " my home and by NY State law it is up for grabs. I never heard of that law. Plus I do not have to answer to her. She is not the landlord or owner.

My Father owns the building My living arrangement is with him not my sister

My Father informed the police that I still live there and the police leave me alone

I have too much to do since I have returned home. I need to change my locks and want to file a burglary against my sister but the police will not get involved. What do I do now?

1) I'm sorry to hear about the problem.

2) If your father is the landlord then you are correct. Your sister had no right to change the locks on your part of the home.

3) Before you even think of filing charges against your sister, think about it. These are serious. As mad as you are, think long and hard about whether you want to report the crime. Family is blood. Sometimes there are things you can't change that you may wish you could later.

4) You may want to think about taking her to small claims court. The first thing to do is send a demand letter to your sister, certified return receipt. In it you should describe roughly the amount of money for the items that she sold without your knowledge or authority. You should reference this conversation and the date. You should reference her replacing the locks without your father's permission (and copy him on the letter.) As for a certain amount of money and also money to cover your cost of changing the locks again (or whether you can trust her that she's giving you all the keys to the new locks.) If she won't pay, file a small claims civil case against her. Maybe that will treat her a lesson.

Now if you really want to file a burglary charge, the police will have to take down your request for filing. As far as "getting involved" that is a different story. Best of luck to you...

The police are not going to get involved in a family dispute like this. I suggest that you get your arrangements with your father down on paper in the form of a lease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back