What to do with my body after death?

jawnn

Jurisdiction
Washington
What to do with my dead body after I am finished living in it?

Will the local coroner deal with it? Or do I have to have a way to pay for the disposal. I don;t want my land lord to get stuck with a bill for it. It would be nice if I had enough money to have my body composted or dissolved in salt water.

I was looking into donating it to science. But teaching hospitals don't want obese corpses. Well there is still a slim chance that I can loose enough weight before it wears out.

And should I put in my 'Will' that my body should go to science?

Will the local coroner deal with it? Or do I have to have a way to pay for the disposal. I don;t want my land lord to get stuck with a bill for it. It would be nice if I had enough money to have my body composted or dissolved in salt water.

I was looking into donating it to science. But teaching hospitals don't want obese corpses. Well there is still a slim chance that I can loose enough weight before it wears out.

You could pre-pay for such services. That would avoid saddling someone else with the expense.

My father-in-law gave his body to Rutgers Medical School. He said it was the only way he could get in. What his wife was not prepared for is that when they are done they return what's left (cremated). He kind of bounced around our closets until she died and we snuck his remains into her casket.

What you can do, as Zig suggests, is talk to a local funeral home and prepay for exactly what you want. The coroners don't really deal with bodies once they determine there's no crime or other controversy surrounding the death. It's the local funeral homes that usually retrieve the body from your house or the hospital or whevever you keel over.

Will the local coroner deal with it?

Maybe. Depends on all of the relevant facts and circumstances, including why a coroner is involved.

Or do I have to have a way to pay for the disposal.

Nope.

I don;t want my land lord to get stuck with a bill for it.

He/she/it won't.

should I put in my 'Will' that my body should go to science?

Not a legal issue. You might consider organ donation.

ALL anyone might wish to know about the corpse of an indigent person found in WA state.

RCW 36.39.030
Disposal of remains of indigent persons.
The board of county commissioners of any county shall provide for the disposition of the remains of any indigent person including a recipient of public assistance who dies within the county and whose body is unclaimed by relatives or church organization.
[ 1963 c 4 § 36.39.030. Prior: 1953 c 224 § 1; 1951 c 258 § 1.]

RCW 36.39.030: Disposal of remains of indigent persons.

King County, for illustrative purposes:

King County Indigent Remains Program
The King County Indigent Remains program provides cremation and a proper burial for individuals who are indigent and who have died in King County. This program serves people whose families either could not be located or could not provide for the proper disposition of remains.

Burial process
Decedents in the program are cremated, and then stored in a secure location at the King County Medical Examiner's Office until a ceremony and burial are held, typically every two years. The decedents are buried in individual containers in shared plots, and records are kept for each one so that they may be recovered at a later point in time if a family member requests.

Eligibility
The King County Indigent Remains program provides funding for cremation for individuals who are indigent and who have died in King County. Eligibility for this program is made after a next-of-kin search, notification and a thorough review of personal finances. This process normally takes approximately 90 days.

2019 ceremony
On Wednesday, July 10, 2019, 1:00 pm, 302 individuals were remembered at Mt. Olivet Cemetery, 100 Blaine Avenue NE, in Renton. The public was invited to the ceremony, and included burial rites, prayers from clergy, a memorial plaque and memories shared by friends.

King County Indigent Remains Program - King County

Your landlord, nor is any other person, is NOT required to pay your DEBTS, or foot the costs of your funeral upon your demise.

Read on concerned one, read on!!!

SOCIAL SECURITY ‑- FUNDS ‑- GENERAL ASSISTANCE ‑- COUNTY BURIAL CHARGES | Washington State

No Money to Bury the Deceased: Who Is Responsible? | Sapling

Back