Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft What to do when accused of shoplifting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

killjoy188

I was shopping with my 17 year old friend when she stole a $6 item. She was arrested and taken to juvenile detention (which seems unreasonable to me...I've been told this particular store does not prosecute for theft of items under $10). The police officers and security people seemed convinced that I was stealing too, after searching me, trying to say that my makeup was stolen (I'd had it for months) they determined I was not stealing, but then tried to get me for knowing about my friends theft. I kept denying it (I really hadn't known she was stealing) they finally let me go. They were walking toward me with handcuffs at one point! I'm 19 so an arrest would be much worse for me than her. They also had her sign a document, we don't know what it said.

Anyway, there's not much we can do about it now, but I was wondering what I should have done in this situation? I was told it is illegal to search or interview a minor without a guardian present, is that true?

killjoy188 said:
I was shopping with my 17 year old friend when she stole a $6 item. She was arrested and taken to juvenile detention (which seems unreasonable to me...I've been told this particular store does not prosecute for theft of items under $10). The police officers and security people seemed convinced that I was stealing too, after searching me, trying to say that my makeup was stolen (I'd had it for months) they determined I was not stealing, but then tried to get me for knowing about my friends theft. I kept denying it (I really hadn't known she was stealing) they finally let me go. They were walking toward me with handcuffs at one point! I'm 19 so an arrest would be much worse for me than her. They also had her sign a document, we don't know what it said.

Anyway, there's not much we can do about it now, but I was wondering what I should have done in this situation? I was told it is illegal to search or interview a minor without a guardian present, is that true?

So you found it "unreasonable" to take a theif to jail?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back