Roomate What to do if I am moving and my roommate isn't

Status
Not open for further replies.

krystalinn

In 2005 I signed a one year lease with my roommate. Currently we are in a month to month tenancy. I am getting married and am moving into a different apartment with my future husband.

When I spoke to my landlord about it, he said I could leave, but I would still be responsible for any future damages, until my current roommate decided to leave. He said I could not be removed as a co-tenant, and that I could not fill on a 30 day notice.

Is this legal? Is there any way out of this. What are my rights? I don't want to be responsible for a place I will not be living in anymore. Our rent is current and never late, and my roommate paid all the deposit, so I have no claim to it anyway. What do I do?

If your on a month to month lease or rental agreement all you are required to do is give proper notice (30 days is the norm) now again the deposit will depend on when roomate leaves and condition of dwelling. However onc eyou leave your name should be removed from rental agreement. Find a local Attorney as I do not believe this is right that remian on contract after given proper notice

If you have no claim to the deposit then you have nothing to worry about. Give your landlord the required 30 days notice and then forget about him.
Your roomate will be on the hook for the full rent and any damages after you leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back