What to Do After Getting Rear-Ended – California San Jose

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunandoghosh

What to Do After Getting Rear-Ended – California San Jose
Yesterday (17 March) late evening a car rear ended me while I was stopped at a red light at an intersection. There were some minor damages at the back of the car. This is a rental car I have taken from avis. Nobody was hurt and the driver admitted mistake to me.

I did not have much idea as to what should have been done then as this was first experience of this kind for me. So I called 911 but the operator refused to send any cops as she said 1. There was no injury 2. There was no traffic block.
I still requested her to send someone but she said I need to call my insurance. That's it.
So I took the name, phone number, license number and Insurance number of the other person.
I plan to call insurance company tomorrow.

Few Questions:
Pls answer as I am new to whole process:

1. What is the recommended process to follow? Did I follow correct steps?
2. I am going to call Insurance Company tomorrow? What else do I need to do?
3. I wonder why the 911 did not send cops although I requested so many times?

Pls share your experience and advice kindly.
Thank You

Report the matter to your insurance company and follow their instructions.
If you feel pain tomorrow, see a physician or go to the ER.
Otherwise, if Yiyre well, nothing more to do, but get your car repaired.
Your insurance company will tell you how to go about that.

If this is a rental car then you should report the incident to Avis. That should be the extent of your responsibilities.

You did not get a police response because you did not have an emergency. This was not a situation in which you should have called 911. In fact, it is the type of call that makes 911 dispatchers go crazy. Had you called a non-emergency police number you might have had more luck, but all that officer likely would have done is make sure that both drivers exchanged information. It seems that you did get the information that was necessary.

Great thanks for your detailed response.

My idea of trying to call cop was to make sure that proper incident can be reported and proved.

I visited AVIS this morning and submitted the form.

My concern was what if say tomorrow the other driver for argument sake backs out of his admittance. I dont have any proof other than relying on his statement which he may change. Thats why i requested cops to come but they did not.

Also I wanted to understand whether in future (God forbid) if any situation similarly arises what should be my next course of action?

Great thanks for your detailed response.

My idea of trying to call cop was to make sure that proper incident can be reported and proved.

I visited AVIS this morning and submitted the form.

My concern was what if say tomorrow the other driver for argument sake backs out of his admittance. I dont have any proof other than relying on his statement which he may change. Thats why i requested cops to come but they did not.

Also I wanted to understand whether in future (God forbid) if any situation similarly arises what should be my next course of action?

Rear end collisions are almost always the rear-ender's fault regardless of whether they admit it or not. The driver could potentially say you put your car in reverse and backed into him but I doubt that would work. I assume you or the other party didn't have any witnesses.

Like the others said, your insurance will take care of it, I wouldn't worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back