What to do about an attorney who is not performing any work on my case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

explorerw

What is the name of your state (New Jersey)
Here is a bit of background, about 6 months ago as was involved in a vehicular accident in New Jersey, where I was injured, few days after the accident I've contacted an attorney, who drove twice to my house, I did sign a contract with the attorney retaining him to pursue a personal injury case.

After that the attorney stopped almost all communications: not responding to emails , phone calls etc,
In 6 months we spoke 2 times over the phone where the attorney was referring to a busy schedule and using it as an excuse to not doing any work on the case. As I understand no legal work was done in past 6 months. In any event I have no confidence in the attorney

My dilemma now is what to do, since I have to terminate contract with this attorney, and if I find and engage another attorney and the case reaches a conclusion, the first attorney can place a lien against settlement.

My question is : should I end the contract without an adverse impact? should I file a ethics complain against the attorney? Should I, can I bring a claim against him? And how do I go about it (breach of contract?) can I do it in small claims court?

Your advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated

This is very easy.
Select a new attorney.
The new attorney will handle severing the old contract.
If the old attorney gets anything (highly unlikely), the new attorney will attend to that.

Yes, your new attorney will know how to hadel the situation.

This is very easy....Just need to find new and best attorney for your case and the new attorney will handle everything. Just tell him/her about your problem and Im sure the attorney can solve it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back