What steps to take to break a lease?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kathrynp13

After my boyfriend and I moved into our apartment, we have encountered several problems. First, there are several yellow jacket nests on my building and my boyfriend is highly allergic. It clearly states in my lease that the complex is responsible for pest control. Second, there is a leak in my roof that is corroding my ceiling and now pieces of my ceiling are falling off in my kitchen. Third, there is mold growing on our vents and on the walls around our vents which I believe was painted over before we moved in. Fourth, starting about a two weeks ago, our water has ran a brown/gray color about 3 times. Fifth, since the brown water, every time we flush the toilet, a fowl odor comes out of the plumbing. Sixth, there is a leak under my kitchen sink and in my a/c unit that grows mold constantly. I have contacted the office via telephone about these issues several times and have recently sent an email. What can I do on my own to break this lease? I cant afford a lawyer, but these are unhealthy living conditions and under no circumstance should I have to put up with it! Please help me!

If you have a problem with these conditions, you need to send a written notice to the landlord immediately via a certified method. Typically a tenant's remedy I've seen is to (a) fix the problems yourself and charge the landlord by reducing the rent, or (b) find another place and move out, where you might also be able to reduce your rent due to being "constructively evicted" from your home due to the conditions which breached your lease. You need to make sure the landlord is notified of your intentions before you do them and gives the landlord time to react to do something. I don't know all the details of your case first hand so take what I'm telling you as just an opinion, FWIW. Good luck....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back