WHAT STEPS DO I NEED TO TAKE TO RELOCATE OUT OF STATE?

Stephanie

Jurisdiction
California
What steps and what forms do I need to relocate out of State with my 8 year old son?When my sons father and my parents are against the move.

Background:

Sons father has visitation 2nd and 4th weekends of the month with 2 additional weeks vacation.
I have been dating my boyfriend 1 and a half but have known him 15 years. we feel it is the right time for us to take things to the next level by my sn and I moving in with him. I have a rational parenting plan written and am willing to lower his child support nd pay for airfare for visitation. I only ask that he picks up the unaccompanied minor fee the airlines impose. also I feel that his father may come to Oregon and visit when he pleases as long as he give me 30 days notice.my boyfriend is even ok with my sons father staying with us during the visit to avoid the additional cost of a hotel. I just need to know what to file and what the process is for me to relocate from long beach, ca to Portland Oregon.

You will probably want to get a lawyer involved here. This will probably have to be handled through the court system.

What steps and what forms do I need to relocate out of State with my 8 year old son?When my sons father and my parents are against the move.

Background:

Sons father has visitation 2nd and 4th weekends of the month with 2 additional weeks vacation.
I have been dating my boyfriend 1 and a half but have known him 15 years. we feel it is the right time for us to take things to the next level by my sn and I moving in with him. I have a rational parenting plan written and am willing to lower his child support nd pay for airfare for visitation. I only ask that he picks up the unaccompanied minor fee the airlines impose. also I feel that his father may come to Oregon and visit when he pleases as long as he give me 30 days notice.my boyfriend is even ok with my sons father staying with us during the visit to avoid the additional cost of a hotel. I just need to know what to file and what the process is for me to relocate from long beach, ca to Portland Oregon.

Forms won't help.
You'll need to go to court, petitioning the court to permit the move.
Of course, the child's father will get an opportunity to have his say about the move.

I don't think anyone would want to stay in the home of his or her "ex" with their "current" to visit their child.

I suggest you revise that to say, you'll pay his hotel bill for the weekend up to whatever maximum you can afford.

To accomplish the move, you'll probably need an attorney to assist you as you petition the court.

You are FREE to go, of course, but its teh child that the court is concerned about.

The easiest way and the quickest, is to give daddy custody, and you move visiting when you can.

That will take time, and off you go to court (lawyers and all) to effectuate that simple change.

The best solution is to allow your "current loverman" to move and he can return each weekend to visit you and your baby.

Why?

The court doesn't care what you do, as its only concerned with what is best for the child.

I'm sure that's your interest, too, what's best for your child!!!

In short your trying to take some of his parental rights away! If he fights this he has fair chance of winning. You on other hand must show how this is in best interest of child and why this moved is even needed. This will be an uphill battle

What you can/cannot do legally depends on what your current court orders state. Do the orders specify who bears the expense of travel etc. with respect to his weekends and his two weeks vacation. If the current orders do not specify any details then legally you are free to go. However, that doesn't mean he won't go to court and try to get the orders changed, and you'll be coming back to appear in court, and you will be dealing with an angry man and possibly an angry judge. Best to go to court and get it all spelled out in revised orders(if possible).

Agreed. You can also expect other parent to get longer visitation times a sites unlikely he will get the weekly visits he does now. If he should fight this move he will likely prevail

Back