What should I expect from the mom's victim?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carinabella

Hi everyone,

State is Colorado.

Yesterday, while on my way to the grocery store and making a right turn on the intersection, a 12 year old girl on a bike tried to cross the pedestrian crosswalk at the same time I was making the turn. She was out of my field of vision and consequently, we collided as I was making the turn. I was going no more than 5 miles per hour and dragged her a bit and, as a result, she sustained bruises and scrapes and was limping as she was walking on her way to the ambulance. The bike was a total loss.

EMTs check her out and after a good half hour on observation, her mom shows up and talks to the EMTs and signs the release that no hospital visit is needed.

The mom goes on to talk to the police officer. On her way back to her car, I apologized to the mom. Mom tells me that her daughter should not have been out on the streets as she was strictly instructed to stay home and that this was part of growing up. She also says that the daughter is going to be fine since the injuries do not appear serious but she would have the girl checked out just to be sure.

The police officer tells me that I was being ticketed due to the fact that I failed to yield row to pedestrian @crosswalk. I am fine with the ticket. What I am a little worried is what can mom do when it comes to coming after me? Can she sue me? What proactive measures can I take to put this matter to rest?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Carina

Last edited:
The mom actually sounds very understanding and lenient. Personally, I would let sleeping dogs lie. Trying to get the mom to sign a release would just be tempting fate. Send the victim a sincere note of apology, let her know that if there are any medical expenses you would be more than happy to compensate them, and wait for the limitation period to run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back