What should I do?

Paytonmac

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
Police contacted me tonight, they want to question my teenage son about a crime that was committed at his school? They wouldn't give me any details. They asked if they can question him at my home Sunday night when he gets back from his mothers house. I said yes, but after thinking about it I'm scared of letting him incriminate himself without even knowing what the details are. Am I doing the right thing in letting my son be questioned?

Does this have anything to do with this?:

Were my rights violated?

Either way, I suggest you postpone the police interview until you and your son consult a criminal defense attorney.

It's one thing for the school to send a demand for money, it's quite another when the police come to the door.

Even a teenager has the right to remain silent.

Police contacted me tonight, they want to question my teenage son about a crime that was committed at his school? They wouldn't give me any details. They asked if they can question him at my home Sunday night when he gets back from his mothers house. I said yes, but after thinking about it I'm scared of letting him incriminate himself without even knowing what the details are. Am I doing the right thing in letting my son be questioned?

Parents enforce all rights for their child(ren).

You can simply say, when cops arrive, "Sorry, under advice of our attorney, I respectfully delineate to have my son interviewed by law enforcement. I assert his right to remain silent."

Be advised, tricks will be employed to get him to talk, keep repeating the mantra, eventually saying, "Sorry, I must close the door now."

Don't allow police into your home, unless you are shown a valid arrest warrant, or a search warrant.

The police might subsequently charge him anyway, and arrest him.
Make sure he knows to repeat the mantra and not respond to questions about the alleged event.

Name, address, date of birth, questions are okay to answer, nothing else.

Back