Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft What should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajs15

I went to Florida last week to visit family(I live in Georgia) and I was arrested and taken to jail ( for appx 5 hours) for shoplifting. The item was worth $37 and some change. The LP personnel followed me out of the mall store and to my car where I was questioned if I had taken anything from the store. I stated no because I was so scared. He asked me two more times and finally I asked him what would occur if I did take something and gave it back? He said that we would just go back into the store, fill out some paperwork, and that would be it. Well, this did not happen. The mall security was notified, and also the police. They arrested me and took me to jail. I was charged with PETTY THEFT FIRST OFFENSE, and I have received a letter for an arraignment in April. Is there any possibility that these charges will be dropped without having to go to court? Is it possible that the store will send a letter for restitution and drop the charges, or is it too late since I have a court date set? Im very scared and unsure what may happen. This was a horrible mistake, and I do not want it to affect my record. I will graduate from nursing school in December, will this affect my education and job opportunities? I have decided to attend court without a lawyer, what are some suggestions that I should consider to get the least punishment? I am already looking into a anti-shoplifting course before even attending court. Will this help any? Please, any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Is there any possibility that these charges will be dropped without having to go to court?
Not likely
s it possible that the store will send a letter for restitution and drop the charges, or is it too late since I have a court date set?
Its too late since you have a court date. However you can expect a letter of "Civil Demand" from the stores Lawyers
will this affect my education and job opportunities
If convicted yes!
I have decided to attend court without a lawyer,
That would be very unwise
what are some suggestions that I should consider to get the least punishment?
Start consulting Lawyers ask about Diversion
I am already looking into a anti-shoplifting course before even attending court. Will this help any?
It wont hurt. I recommend the one offered by NASP.

Thank you for the quick response. I will call some lawyers tomorrow. It is going to be difficult since I do not live in the state of Florida though, and I need a lawyer from Florida to handle this case. Is a conviction likely in this kind of court case? I did steal, so I am guilty. Does that automatically make me "convicted" of the theft? And where can I locate your personal email for help with the anti-shoplifting classes?

Talk to the Lawyers you call (Call FL Lawyers) about Diversion tha tis your best optin in my view. If you click on my name it will take you to my profile from there you can PM me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back