What Should I do Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiddo99999

Hello Forum:
On my first day in North Dakota, I signed a 2 bedroom apartment lease in North Dakota for One year on December 14. After a walk thru of the apartment, I started living in the apartment around 5:30 PM on December 14.
Soon my circumstances changed and I asked them to let me walk out of the lease. They said we will work it out together after talking with the supervisor.
They asked me to sign an improper notice according to which I can live there till the last day of February and then leave. But the paper also has all those things written "working together to find a tenant " etc and if they are not able to find new tenant, I'll will be held responsible for the whole years lease.
I was also told that I will get my security deposit back after the end of February.
It wasn't possible to live any further there for me, so I told them I am leaving the apartment today. So the lady told me that she would have to take permission from her supervisor whether I can do that or not. She called me and said no problem you can leave. Around 3:00 PM afternoon on December 17 there was again a walk thru of the apartment. She acknowledged everything is perfect as I had just moved in. Around 3:15 PM December 17 the keys were returned and I was out of the apartment. I headed to airport, took the first flight to NYC and cam home.
There was also a re-rental fee. They told me that they will deduct it from my security deposit.
I was told on one occasion that if I they don't find someone till February, I will still be responsible for the whole lease.
When I was leaving I was told don't forget to pay the January rent otherwise you will be receiving some nasty phone calls. This time she said hopefully we'll find someone in January and you won't have to pay for the February. I was also told they will let me know if I am responsible for the electric bill or not on Monday (December 19).
They have my security deposit. They have already deducted re-rental fee from security deposit.
They also have my prorata rent for the December.
What should I do now? Your guidance and advice will be highly appreciated.
Hope to hear you soon

You should do as you were instructed.

If you don't, I'm sure you'll be getting those annoying phone calls.

You have no choices, if you wish to lessen the financial pain this will cause you.

Next time, don't be so quick to sign a lease, unless you're able to fulfill the terms of your contract.

In the end, you're responsible to do what you agreed to do in the lease you signed.

A lease is a legally binding contract; it is not something along the lines of "well, just ignore this".

While a landlord/management has an obligation to find a replacement tenant once the current one breaks the lease, you remain financially responsible for the rent until this can be done (or the lease terminates). It appears that the management is attempting to find someone to take your place; however, winter (and, I'm assuming especially winter in North Dakota) is often a difficult time to find a tenant.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back