What should I do in this situation of personal injury case? I am the plaintiff and I am Pro Se

Status
Not open for further replies.

alinvictor

Jurisdiction
New York
Hi, I have been involved in an accident and after filling the lawsuit I received a settlement offer from insurance company(I am OK with the offer and not looking for more).
I signed the offer but now I told that I have to sign the following STIPULATION DISCONTINUING ACTION WITH PREJUDICE before receiving the check:
"IT IS HEREBY STIPULATED AND AGREED by and between the undersigned, the attorneys of record for all the parties to the above-entitled action, that whereas no party hereto is an infant, incompetent person for whom a committee has been appointed or conservatee and no person, not a party, has an interest in the subject matter of the action, the above entitled action be, and the same hereby is discontinued with prejudice, without costs to any party as against the other. This stipulation may be filed without further notice with the Clerk of the Court "

I understand the "with prejudice" section but I'm not sure about the "without costs" statement if I have not received the check yet. I appreciate any advise if I should have any concerns signing this before receiving the actual agreed settlement check.

With prejudice means you can't refile the case again. Without costs means you don't get any costs on top of whatever you're receiving in the settlement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back