What rights do we have to restrict Grandparnet access to grandchildren

Status
Not open for further replies.

hollyworld

My husband and I are trying to find out if we have the right to keep his father from having access to our children. We are in SC & he is in KY. We have been very wary of him around our kids because of his past issues. He has had leagal issues in the past one included assult of a patient of his about 6 years ago. He pleal nolo contender and got off. I don't even know if it's still on his record. He made a remark sexual in nature about our 6 year old daughter/his granddaughter. We sent a letter to him explaining how upset we were and he blew it off like we are being too sensitive and he meant nothing by it. He has threatened leagal action siting Grandparents rights. What right to we have to bar him from seeing our children? Are we allowed to bring up his past even if it is not on his record? We are good parents and don't want him and his lies to drag us down a this path. I fear he will lie and try to make use look like bad parents. We are very good parents looking out for our children and trying to protect them.

Ignore him and his threats.

There is nothing you can do to prevent someone from filing a legal action.

Don't worry about what he might do.

More than likely he's boasting.

Besides, there's very little he can do.

Stop communicating with him, if you don't get along.

The grandfather would have to file a suit in the state that the children reside in. For the quick look, I'm not sure that he'd gain standing as you are an intact family. How much contact does he normally have with the child/ren?

He only sees them 1 maybe 2 times a year. We have tried to remain peaceful because he is so difficult to deal with but he crossed the line when he talked about our daughter. He would fight this just to win. He does tend to call once a week and we have let him talk to our children but we are halting all communication at this point. I just fear that he will take us to court and of course we will fight it but we do not have a lot of money and he has plenty of spend. No amount of money would stop us from fighting this, it's just so stressful and I worry that courts would somehow side with him and make us let him see our kids.

He only sees them 1 maybe 2 times a year. We have tried to remain peaceful because he is so difficult to deal with but he crossed the line when he talked about our daughter. He would fight this just to win. He does tend to call once a week and we have let him talk to our children but we are halting all communication at this point. I just fear that he will take us to court and of course we will fight it but we do not have a lot of money and he has plenty of spend. No amount of money would stop us from fighting this, it's just so stressful and I worry that courts would somehow side with him and make us let him see our kids.

Just so you understand. There is no such thing as grandparent RIGHTS. Grandparents have no inherent rights to their grandchildren. GPV is about preserving the already established relationship. He could attempt to sue you but I don't think he'd get far with the information that I've looked up and that you have provided. If he does attempt to sue you, make sure you hire an attorney who is familiar with GPV cases.

I particularly believe that you must maintain minimum contact with the grandfather. You can do very little about restricting your daughter's grandfather.

I particularly believe that you must maintain minimum contact with the grandfather. You can do very little about restricting your daughter's grandfather.

I'm sorry, what?

Why must they do that? Your answer is completely, 100% inaccurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back