What rights do parents have over a 17 year old pregnant teen?

MelodyV

Jurisdiction
California
Hello,

I have a 17 year old sister who just turned 17 (Nov. 2016). She keeps running away but randomly calls my parents to ask for money to eat or to rent a hotel. She is accompanied by two of her friends who use drugs and do not have jobs. They are also minors and run aways. We have notified the sheriffs department but they won't do anything because she is 17 and said she could do as she pleases. The thing is she will still be a minor when she gives birth. She doesn't have a place to stay or money for food. She is not emancipated so my question is, what rights do my parents have? Can they force her to stay home until she's 18? Could my parents take the baby's custody if she is being irresponsible by not going to School and not taking prenatal? Who should we contact to take action?

Your parents have the right to go to where she is and drag her pregnant little ass back home. She is a minor - she does not leave home until she is 18 or they say she does. The fact that law enforcement refuses to participate does not negate your parents' right to parent their child.

Your parents have the right to go to where she is and drag her pregnant little ass back home. She is a minor - she does not leave home until she is 18 or they say she does. The fact that law enforcement refuses to participate does not negate your parents' right to parent their child.

Great advice, but your parents are only aiding her ability to stay away as long as they give her money.

Your parents are also naive to think ONLY her pals are drug abusers.

You can't lie down with mammals who have fleas and not get fleas yourself.

It might be useful to contact child services and see if child services will help because the girl's fetus is near term and potentially at risk because of her risky behavior.

The parents have the same rights they do as with a 17 year old that is not pregnant.

If the parents do not know where she is they should report her as a missing person. If they do know where she is they should go get her. If they are actually giving her money and paying for hotels then they should stop if they prefer she be at home.

If the child is neglected after it is born then social services would get involved. If the parents are willing to take responsibility of the baby they might be given that opportunity, but it would be a process through social services and the court.

As for law enforcement saying she can do as she pleases, the parents might want to make a complaint to the department if they believe the deputies aren't taking their daughters safety seriously. She certainly can not do what she wants, but she won't be arrested unless she commits a crime. All they will do is keep bringing her back home until she runs off again.

Contacting social services now might be a worthwhile step, even if only to get advice on available resources.

The parents have the same rights they do as with a 17 year old that is not pregnant.

If the parents do not know where she is they should report her as a missing person. If they do know where she is they should go get her. If they are actually giving her money and paying for hotels then they should stop if they prefer she be at home.

If the child is neglected after it is born then social services would get involved. If the parents are willing to take responsibility of the baby they might be given that opportunity, but it would be a process through social services and the court.

As for law enforcement saying she can do as she pleases, the parents might want to make a complaint to the department if they believe the deputies aren't taking their daughters safety seriously. She certainly can not do what she wants, but she won't be arrested unless she commits a crime. All they will do is keep bringing her back home until she runs off again.

Contacting social services now might be a worthwhile step, even if only to get advice on available resources.

My parents have contacted child protective services but they don't get back to us. My mom has even tried to get a hold of my sisters doctors by they deny my mom the right to know how my sister and her baby are doing.

Doctors are not the way to go. There are laws that prevent them from sharing the information.
Try actually GOING to the local office for Child Welfare Services.
Also talk to school administrators to see what actions they are taking.

What is known about the father of the child?

Hello,

I have a 17 year old sister who just turned 17 (Nov. 2016). She keeps running away but randomly calls my parents to ask for money to eat or to rent a hotel. She is accompanied by two of her friends who use drugs and do not have jobs. They are also minors and run aways. We have notified the sheriffs department but they won't do anything because she is 17 and said she could do as she pleases. The thing is she will still be a minor when she gives birth. She doesn't have a place to stay or money for food. She is not emancipated so my question is, what rights do my parents have? Can they force her to stay home until she's 18? Could my parents take the baby's custody if she is being irresponsible by not going to School and not taking prenatal? Who should we contact to take action?

Until she's the age of majority in your state, she doesn't have any rights. She has rights over her eventual child - that's it.

Some states cops aren't going to go after a 17 year old who runs away.

But yes your parents can force her to come home and anyone who is helping her can face trouble themselves. No they necessarily couldn't get custody when she hasn't even had the child yet. There's no law that says you have to take prenatal pills or any of that. How does her not going to school affect the baby once it's born?

You can keep reporting to CPS that she may be endangering her fetus and they will get involved if they feel the need to do so. When the baby is born if drugs are found in its system she very well could have the baby removed from her custody. But the doctor has no obligation to tell your parents anything about her pregnancy.

Your parents need to stop enabling her. Next time she asks for money, find out where she is and go get her. Tell her when she's 18 she can do whatever she wants with whomever but she will be on her own and with that child.

What about/where is the Father of the baby to be born?

The father is on and off. He is Native American who is 18/19 years old. We've tried to contact him but he doesn't want any contact with her.

The father is on and off. He is Native American who is 18/19 years old. We've tried to contact him but he doesn't want any contact with her.

Until a paternity test PROVES a man to be the father, babies born to unmarried females don't have a LEGAL father.

After the baby is born, the presumed Father would need a DNA test to establish rights & paternity. He could then also be required to pay child support.

Back