Roomate What rights do I have to stay

Jessica Olson

Jurisdiction
Minnesota
I currently live in a rental property with my boyfriend. Both of our names are on the lease. He wants to end our relationship and wants me to move out. I have no problem leaving and taking my name off the lease, but I need until the end of this month to make other living arrangements. What are my legal rights to stay here?

I have no problem leaving and taking my name off the lease

Your name cannot be taken "off the lease." Also, while you and your (ex-)boyfriend may not have a problem with this, your landlord almost certainly will, unless he/she/it receives something of value in return.

What are my legal rights to stay here?

You have the same rights as your (ex-)boyfriend to stay until the lease expires or is terminated by mutual agreement or eviction. Stated differently, your (ex-)boyfriend has no legal ability to force you out.

I agree. This is a conversation to have with the landlord.
Even if you move out you might be responsible for the rent until your lease expires.
Convince the landlord to begin a new lease with your ex as the sole occupant.
He can't force you to leave, but the can make you miserable.

If there has been any domestic violence that could be an easy way out.

I currently live in a rental property with my boyfriend. Both of our names are on the lease. He wants to end our relationship and wants me to move out. I have no problem leaving and taking my name off the lease, but I need until the end of this month to make other living arrangements. What are my legal rights to stay here?
Your name cannot be taken "off the lease." Also, while you and your (ex-)boyfriend may not have a problem with this, your landlord almost certainly will, unless he/she/it receives something of value in return.

You have the same rights as your (ex-)boyfriend to stay until the lease expires or is terminated by mutual agreement or eviction. Stated differently, your (ex-)boyfriend has no legal ability to force you out.
how

How do I protect myself from being forced out?

Huh?

Did you read my prior response: "your (ex-)boyfriend has no legal ability to force you out." He could, of course, be a complete jerk and make your life miserable until you leave, but that's what you signed up for by renting a place together and (presumably) not having any sort of roommate agreement signed.

How do I protect myself from being forced out?

You can't be forced out legally without an eviction.
If you WANT to leave before the lease is up work it out with the landlord.
Regardless what the landlord says you CAN move any time you choose, but you may remain liable for the rent if it goes unpaid or for damages to the apartment until the lease expires.
In other words, move out but keep it peaceful with the ex so he doesn't have reason to cause trouble for you later... But still tell the landlord.
Nothing will happen before the end of the month so be diligent and get things in order before then.

Back