What is determine unlawful entry of a home.

Murray05

Jurisdiction
Kansas
Our dog got into a fight with our neighbors dog. The dogs were separated and taken to their homes. The owner of the other dog came to our house, walked in our home without permission and started yelling at my husband. My husband went to push the neighbor out of our house and his wife stepped in to separate them and our dog bit her. We ended having to put our dog to sleep. What are our rights and where does unlawful entry come into play

Sorry, but there is nothing unlawful about somebody turning your doorknob, opening your door, and walking into your house.

There is, however, something illegal about your husband physically "assaulting" the neighbor in response to just being yelled at.

If you want to escalate this with police reports I suspect it will be your husband that gets prosecuted before the neighbor ever does.

I'm sorry about your dog. I don't know why you felt the need to euthanize it for protecting a family member in your own house. Even the altercation with the other dog might not have required it but I don't know the circumstances or the history.

Anyway, I suggest you just get over this as best you can and avoid more problems with the neighbor.

Back