Roomate What is appropriate in a roommate situation as far as moving out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tawnyanicole

I had been living in a coworkers home that she owned for a few months because the house I lived in previously was sold. She said she could use the extra money and asked how long I would need a place to say...I told her I would be out no later than June. She said that was perfect becasue her parents would be coming to visit over the summer so we made a verbal agreement for me to come and stay with her for a few months. I agreed to pay her $600 a month while I was there. After a few months of living there I felt like I was in a prison, I couldn't have company over, I never cooked because so freaked out over everything, water spots, the use of the dishwasher, so over a 5 month period I only ate lean cuisines and sandwhiches. She claimed I would start a fire in her house because there was lint in the dryer that still contained my clothes, she left post it notes on everything telling me all the things I did wrong. She told me that speaking to me was like talking to her former alcoholic son because I just didnt get anything. She told coworkers personal things about me and lied on several occasions about my character which made me cry and feel isolated. I stopped coming home till after I knew she was asleep for several months and would stay at my parents on weekends so as not to run into her because she was always telling me very negative things and causing me to be depressed. Finally I stopped coming home 2 weeks before May, I took half my clothes and stayed at a friends house. My friend told me to just move in with her so the first week on May I told my roommate that I was moving out. Because we are coworkers I told her I was moving out to help a freind out instead of telling her she drove me out of her home so there would be no animosity at work. All I had there the entire time I lived there was my clothing so I moved the rest of my clothing out on May 13th. She sent me a nasty email about the room saying I left it in shambles and that I had to pay her the entire rent for the month of May. I know I did not leave the house in array but I went back the next day and dusted and vaccuumed the entire room. My biggest concern right now is that I dont feel that I should have to pay her the entire month of May's rent because I was not there and was never signed any contract with her. She drove me out of her home that I had no privledges in and I had not lived there for over a month by the time I was completely out of her home. Everyone I have asked said I should not pay her a dime becasue they knew what I went through at her place and that since I had only a verbal agreement to stay at her home till I found a place No given time mentioned, that I should not have to pay her. I would think it would be fair to pay her half ($300) for the amount of time my 2 bags of clothes remained in her home, but she is very nasty with me and I would like to know my rights regarding this since I do work with her and know that she is the type to turn this into a nasty situation.

You can negotiate. If she agrees, get it in writing. She can sue you, because there are oral agreements where property is concerned. Absent a written lease, yours was a statutory tenancy, month to month tenancy. Google it for your state. You are still required to pay, unless you get evicted or give proper notice.

So, make a deal. But, get it in writing, get a receipt for your payment, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back