What if the city doesn't follow their own code?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lab187

Michigan -

I bought a property last month. It was a foreclosure that was vacant for at least 1 1/2 years.

I found out that the city has condemned the property, just a month or two before I bought it. The neighbors complained about the 'traffic' in and out of the house (um..it was for sale so the traffic was potential buyers). The city building inspector went to "investigate" and found that he could lift the garage door (it was slightly off the track), and then enter the interior door into the house. Based on this, he condemned the house.

Long story short, I had to go to a city council meeting, based on a notice posted on the house shortly after I bought it, stating that they were going to discuss whether or not to demolish the house.

I went to the meeting, and now they want me to have a formal inspection, after which I will have to fix whatever they tell me to fix, including bringing the house up to 2003 code (built in 1955). The inspection alone is $300, not to mention all of the permits I'll have to pull and unplanned work I'll need to have done. All of this must happen BEFORE I am "allowed" to move in. I can't afford this; I just spent my savings buying this house.

Now...at the hearing the council members asked me who I bought the house from. When I said "Fannie Mae", the building inspector said that he wasn't aware that "Fannie Mae" was the owner of the house before I bought it. The council meetings are televised so all of this is recorded.

I believe that this is a key point in disputing this condemnation because the building inspector could not have notified the "owner" if he didn't know who the owner was. I read the code, and from what I understand the inspector is supposed to notify the the owners of the property that 1) there is an issue AND a timeframe in which to fix the issue and 2) notice that the property was condemned.

If these things didn't happen, could this be reason for the city to have to "cancel" the condemnation?

There is nothing else wrong with the house, but since it's condemned I can't move in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back