What happens to the house?

Status
Not open for further replies.

missgist

I Have Been Married For Less Than A Year And I Am Filing For A Divorce. I hired A PI To Get Information Along With Pictures And Video Of My Husbands Infidelity. He Doesn't Know Any Of This At The Moment. I Am Actually Waiting To Have My Baby And Go Back To Work So That I Can Care For My Kids Without Any Help. In The Past My Husband Has Always Said That If We Were To Separate I Would Have To Buy Him Out Of The House. My Question Is, I Purchased My Home Prior To Ever Meeting Him. Having Proof Of Adultery, Does This Entitle Him To Any Parts Of My Home. My Name Is The Only Name On The Mortgage And Insurances. I Live In South Carolina And Wanted To Know. Will The Law Give Him Anything When I Will Be The One With The Children?

Since your marriage was so brief, it is unlikely that he will get much if anything. If your joint resources paid the mortgage and maintenance, then he may get some. However, since you owned the home before marriage it shouldn't be much. Also, according to this summary of SC divorce law, his adultery may factor into the division of property. Good news for you (amid the bad)!
http://research.lawyers.com/South-Carolina/Divorce-in-South-Carolina.html
Get an attorney, and good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back