What happens at the finalization court date for step parent adoption

Status
Not open for further replies.

mommyofthree

We are at the final step in our step parent adoption. We were notified that my 4 and 5 year old have to be at the finalization court date. My question is, what is going to be told to them and what questions will be asked of them? My husband is the only father my children have ever known and I don't want to scare them at this court date. I also don't want to have to tell try what is going on and confuse them.

We are at the final step in our step parent adoption. We were notified that my 4 and 5 year old have to be at the finalization court date. My question is, what is going to be told to them and what questions will be asked of them? My husband is the only father my children have ever known and I don't want to scare them at this court date. I also don't want to have to tell try what is going on and confuse them.

I suggest you ask your lawyer those questions.
The truth will come out at the adoption, so I suggest you prepare the kiddos now.
It won't hurt, and it will be gentle, but the truth doesn't like to kept locked away!!!
What, you have no lawyer?
Then, visit a local lawyer or three, and ask about finalization hearings.
You need not say you are nearing yours, just ask about what happens at finalization hearings.
The initial consultation is normally free, so you have nothing to lose, and you will learn a few things.

Or, you could read this article or two:

https://www.adoptivefamilies.com/adoption-welcome-home/adoption-finalization/

https://www.childwelfare.gov/pubpdfs/f_step.pdf

I have an attorney and every time I ask a question, I am getting a bare minimum answer and I'm charged for it, so I would rather not ask her. I understand my children need to know, but at four and five years old, I do not see it necessary.

I have an attorney and every time I ask a question, I am getting a bare minimum answer and I'm charged for it, so I would rather not ask her. I understand my children need to know, but at four and five years old, I do not see it necessary.

The court won't care what you think, nor do I.
You asked a question, I gave you answers.
I didn't ask YOU a question, nor do I care what YOU think, believe, or feel.
I wish you and your family well.

WOW! Your "advice" was unhelpful and WORTHLESS to me. I wish I could say I appreciate your insight, but really it was a waste of not only your time, but more importantly, MY time.

WOW! Your "advice" was unhelpful and WORTHLESS to me. I wish I could say I appreciate your insight, but really it was a waste of not only your time, but more importantly, MY time.

You're welcome.
Goodbye................................................................

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back