Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft What happens after shoplifting charge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atarhpe

My nephew was in a department store and was caught shoplifting. He's a troubled kid and the people there decided to stick it to him. He's 18 so he's not such a child but he needs to grow up and this might help him in a way but with real consequences. I fear he might have a criminal record. He told me that the police didn't come and that they took his name and home address and then he was let go. What will happen after this shoplifting charge? Will the police come? I don't know the shoplifting law in New York.

My nephew was in a department store and was caught shoplifting. He's a troubled kid and the people there decided to stick it to him. He's 18 so he's not such a child but he needs to grow up and this might help him in a way but with real consequences. I fear he might have a criminal record. He told me that the police didn't come and that they took his name and home address and then he was let go. What will happen after this shoplifting charge? Will the police come? I don't know the shoplifting law in New York.

I work in retail theft and I can tell you if Police were not called the likihood they will is very low so he caught a break. He can expect a letter from stores law firm demanding money in accordance to your states Civil Demand laws. I can be anywhere from $50.00 to $1000.00 depending on laws and circumstances of case. I suggest he pay this right away to avoid provoking further action like filing that criminal complaint. I further suggest he get some help or you distance yourself form so you don't get caught up in any negatives that will likely befall him if he continues his destructive path.

You posted another thread re a nephew age 15, going on 16 re background checks & shoplifting. I hope there aren't any more nephews who shoplift.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back