What does docket entry, "Court Ordered Escrow", mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

heyaj

For untoward reasons, Superior Court acquired funds from a judgment creditor in satisfaction of an affirmed judgment. Superior Court ordered release of funds to judgment debtor; and ordered judgment debtor to provide "pertinent information" to allow court finance department to accomplish a wire transfer.

I am the judgment debtor. It was a civil case. As directed by Superior Court Finance Department, I completed a court form with "pertinent information" to facilitate a wire transfer, then timely submitted to completed form to the court financial department.

Almost a month has passed. The funds from the court have not arrived in the designated account.

By email and by telephone, I have tried to contact the same court finance department staff who directed me to complete the court form and who then received the completed form. The court staff has not replied.

Then, I checked the online case docket. A few days after the Order to Release Funds, there is a docket entry, "Court Ordered Escrow ". What does this docket entry mean? According to my understanding, the court has held the funds in escrow since acquiring the funds from the judgment creditor. I have not received any notice from the court about the docket entry "Court Ordered Escrow".

My question is: is this an administrative issue only? Is the Order to Release Funds still valid? Since the finance department staff has not responded to my email and telephone calls, should I contact another department? Thanks so much.

For untoward reasons, Superior Court acquired funds from a judgment creditor in satisfaction of an affirmed judgment. Superior Court ordered release of funds to judgment debtor; and ordered judgment debtor to provide "pertinent information" to allow court finance department to accomplish a wire transfer.

I am the judgment debtor. It was a civil case. As directed by Superior Court Finance Department, I completed a court form with "pertinent information" to facilitate a wire transfer, then timely submitted to completed form to the court financial department.

Almost a month has passed. The funds from the court have not arrived in the designated account.

By email and by telephone, I have tried to contact the same court finance department staff who directed me to complete the court form and who then received the completed form. The court staff has not replied.

Then, I checked the online case docket. A few days after the Order to Release Funds, there is a docket entry, "Court Ordered Escrow ". What does this docket entry mean? According to my understanding, the court has held the funds in escrow since acquiring the funds from the judgment creditor. I have not received any notice from the court about the docket entry "Court Ordered Escrow".

My question is: is this an administrative issue only? Is the Order to Release Funds still valid? Since the finance department staff has not responded to my email and telephone calls, should I contact another department? Thanks so much.

Without knowing the type of case, as well as other facts pertinent to the case, all anyone can do is guess.
I would suspect that the court has issued an order placing the funds in question into some type of court controlled escrow account.
If you want the precise information you can always motion the court to be heard on the matter in order to seek clarification and deeper understanding.
You could take all of your documentation and visit a local DC lawyer.
He or she could then further clarify for you.
Normally you will not be charged during the initial consultation with most attorneys.
If cost is an issue, make you ask before you meet.

As you indicate that you haven't received any funds, one could educe that either there are no funds YET, funds have been disbursed to the other party in error, or the funds have (for some odd reason) placed into a court escrow account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back