What do I need to get emancipated?

Tanderson

Jurisdiction
Georgia
I am 15 and aware of the fact that to get emancipated I need to be able to financially support myself and other things to be emancipated but what else do I need?What legal documents would I need to get and how much would this cost?If anybody could answer any of these questions or recommend any lawyers or people I need to get in contact with that would be highly appreciated.

Just so that you know - a former responder on these forums, who lives in your state, did some research a few years back. In the year 2005, in Georgia, 12 minors were emancipated, 11 of them based on one specific factor. The state legislature thought 12 was too many, and tightened up the law, eliminating that one factor as a valid reason, and very deliberately making it so difficult for a minor to be emancipated in your state as to make it virtually impossible. Do not imagine that things have changed all that much in the decade since.

If I recall correctly, pregnancy.

But it doesn't really matter, because the law no longer accepts it as a valid reason to emancipate.

I think you're missing the point. It's not - if you're not pregnant it's easier to be emancipated. It's that the law is TRYING to make it difficult for you by removing reasons that they would formerly have considered a valid reason.

Even assuming that you are making sufficient money to completely support yourself AND making excellent grades, without a reason that the law considers valid your petition will still be denied.

Oh well I'm not pregnant or planning to so I think I will be good there.

You'll be emancipated at one second after midnight on your birthday, in 2020, or whatever year you'll be 18 years of age. At that precise moment, one second after midnight in some month, on some day of that month of your birth, by operation of law, you'll become an adult.

I see few other opportunities for a minor in most of the United States to become an adult sooner that his or her 18th birthday.

Back