What do i have to do, and what are my chances of being emancipated

Status
Not open for further replies.

JanneDoe

I am 16 and my mother lost custody of me. my aunt and uncle currently have custody of me. she is a bitch , sorry for my word choice. I work and I make 180ish a week and 99% of it goes for gas in her car, food on her table, and supplies for her house. if I don't make enough or buy what she wants I get yelled at. she currently has custody of me, my two younger siblings and her two children. we live in a 3 bedroom house and 1 bathroom. 7 people are currently living in the household. I work, I buy most thing, and I can support myself.
If I can get emancipated I will move in with a person I know, that person has already agreed. I will still go to school except it wouldn't be the school I going to currently.

You do not qualify for emancipation.

In order to do so (assuming your state even has a statute), you would need to show the court that you are already living outside of the home and fully supporting yourself.

You would need to show that you can pay...

Full market rent
Utilities
Health insurance
Transportation and insurance
Food
Clothing

$180/week isn't even going to come close, hun.

In less than 24 months, on your 18th birthday you will be free to do what THE THREE LITTLE PIGS did, make your way in this big, cruel world.

About that $180 you earn, it isn't yours. As your legal guardians, it belongs to her and her husband. That's the law in every US state and territory. Like it, hate it, it's the law.

Here's a thought. You could ask her to relinquish custody and allow you to become a ward of the state. That way you could be placed into the state child foster care system. If you're really lucky, you might get placed in a state youth home. I hear those are well, I hear they're state run youth homes.

Last edited:
It is so nice that you are contributing to the expenses of raising yourself and your siblings. Voluntarily or not.

What do i have to do, Turn 18

and what are my chances of being emancipated After you turn 18? 100%. Before you turn 18? 0%

Here is a wake up call... the money you earn is not yours. Your earnings belong to your parents/guardians and they can do as they wish with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back