What do I do?

• Thread Starter imscaredandfeeltrapped
  • Start date
I

imscaredandfeeltrapped

Jurisdiction
Missouri
We live in a large apartment complex and in Aug a tenant below us was arrested, charged and found guilty for discharging a firearm in the parking lot in front of our apartments. He was arrested after the third time of the shootings being reported within a month and a half period. Management was made very well aware of the situation (as it occurred when no one was there) and 43 days after his arrest he was given time served and released. He came back to the property (he is an unlisted resident on the lease) and we had notified the management and immediately asked if we had any further issue with him, then on the second time calling them (both within two weeks) inquired about it again and were told that their hands are tied and theirs nothing that they can do. At 3:00 this morning and again around 7:00 tonight shots were fired in the breezeway. I need to move my family out and need to know if I have the right to withhold rent for the month of Dec (cancelling the check) in order to move. Please help. I have tonight to cancel this check.

If you fail to pay your rent, you'll be headed for an eviction.

You have a lease.
You honor the lease, or risk many negative consequences befalling you.
If you want to break the lease, discuss that with the LL.
It ain't free, and it won't happen because crimes are being committed.

As long as you have a lease (& you are also still living there), you can't just cancel paying rent. You need to talk to the landlord as suggested.

Back