Burglary, Arson, Home Invasion What do I do if someone I know stole from me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jglcjo12

Here is my situation. My sister is having financial trouble. No job, no house, living in her car with her husband. She has 3 children 2 of which live with my mom 1 Is With her. But she has been leaving her with my mom lately due to the fact they are living in the car. Now my mom had a Bulova watch in her dresser. Last night I was checking my nephew's phone and came upon a few messages between my sister and her husband who had used the phone a few days and it said someone was gonna buy the bulova. I got suspicious and he left his email open so I went through them and sure enough he had pics of the phone and the ad he posted on Craigslist. .I would like to denounce them but I I'd if I'll be in trouble cuz I went through his emails. (Even though the phone is not his and he left the account logged in). And my mom wants them held responsible but doesn't know what will happen to the kids. So she doesn't know if it's better to not say anything.she is her daughter after all:-( Thanks

Last edited:
Mom still has the watch? If so, lock it away or hide it. If it has not been taken or sold then there may not yet be a crime.
Confront them directly about trying to sell mom's valuables.
If necessary, contact child services about the children. The kids may be allowed to stay where they are and you may find some assistance.

Simple, mom advises her daughter she is aware of the situation and now hubby is not permitted in her home. Daughter is to be supervised there. Mom understands people who are desperate make bad choices but is not going to allow them to be at her expense.

No, it has already been sold. But I would like to know if I would get in trouble for going through his emails.. even though the phone was not his and he left his account signed on?. But that's the thing she doesn't want to happen, for the kids to be taken away. . My mom has had them at her house for the past 4 months..

Yeah , I guess that is what she is ultimately going to end up doing. But my sister has a long history of just up and leaving when ever my mom tells her she isn't doing things right and it has definitely taken a toll on my nephews lives. They have moved to 6 different states in only 10 years. And I think she is just gonna ban my sis and her husband from the house.and see what happens..

Understand, the watch is not such a big issue if mom has an estate to leave. She can make her will to adjust for any injustices she feels her children have ever made. What is more important is that if he is willing to brazenly steal from her and sis is going to allow it, what happens when they decide to kill her for the inheritance.

Ok thanks that's what I wanted to know. Yesterday when my mom told my other sister what happened, she said that she has always been like that. Once when they were young this sister stole her jeans and the other one found them hidden in her stuff and she started hitting her saying why was she going through her stuff.

Right! I'll let my mom know because it's scary to think that could happen, and it has to many other people. I am completely appalled by her actions. I would never do that to a stranger much less to my parents.Although they didn't grow up with us, she should be respectful. My mom left them in Nicaragua when they were 6,4,3 and they didn't come here til they where 16,17,19 when she was able to bring them. They always reproach my mom about that and blame any wrong doings on that. They are all in their 30s now but still very much resentful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back