What can I do in this employment situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bible_John

I am working in a retail company (officeMax) and dealing with a bad manager. She has made life miserable for me. She has blamed me for not finishing my Max University training, when management has told me not to work on it, etc.. It seems unfair that she would yell at me for not doing it, when I was clearly told by the night manager not to work on it, but to help customers.

A couple of weeks ago she quitely mentioned out loud that she personally would like to beat several employees with a whip or stick for not finishing their Max University training. I took a note of the time she made the remarks.

Also ladders in the company have been very unsafe. I took some sneak pictures with my Zire 72 and sent them to Ocea. Ocea said that they will investigate these ladders as they are a safety hazard. However the company is waiting till someone gets hurt before they do anything. I remember on top of a 30 foot ladder (that lacked a break and grabbing a 100 pound laser printer). I called for help and no oen came. Then the DM finally showed up and lectured me on holding printers correctly. Yet completely ignored my complaint that the latter was unsafe. Like I said they are waiting till someone gets hurt to do anything.

Once back in the year 2000 I got seriously injured, and had to go to the emergency room. When I got back to work the manager at the time called me into his office and told me that he would start cutting my hours for getting injured. Fortunately he did not, and unfortuantely I did not sue.

Unfortunately since there is no union, and I am not living in a Just Cause state (Montanna and Kansas) employment is at will. They can fire you for no reason at all.

I worked for this company from 1997-2001, summer 2002, and know again in 2006. I've had good managers that liked me, and I've had managers that wanted to fire me. Its just the way personalities are. I always work hard, show up on time, work overtime, work on my days off, and do extra jobs. But personalities can be a problem, as is the case here.

What can I do?

Yes I have looked for another job, and have not found one yet. Yes I know it takes the faxing and emailing of many, many resumes. I've only sent off about 10 since I've been looking and this is really a small number.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back