What can I do about this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheywings

My jurisdiction is: Indiana

My family rented a house from Connie D'Angelo at Prize Properties, we paid a deposit and first months rent. Today her ex-husband came by and told me that she had no right to rent this house as he got in their divorce settlement. The divorce was done on July 30, 2009 and we signed a 2 yr lease on July 22, 2009. The ex-husband says we cant move in and we are already 90% moved in. We cant go back to where we moved from as it is already rented and have no money to move any where else because we paid the deposit and rent. What can we do or what should we do?

Greg DeLawter the ex-husband
Connie E'Angelo

It would appear from your posting that at the time you signed the lease (July 22, 2009) the husband had NOT gotten the house in the divorce settlement as the final paperwork for this divorce was not yet complete.

Tell him that if he refunds your security deposit and rent, your current cost of moving in AND the cost of you moving to another rental (should you wish to go this route) you'll leave.

If you're just about moved in, HIS only option (if he wishes to do this) is to consider filing for eviction. You can then present the lease signed by the then-wife in court and explain that, at the time of the signing, he had not yet been granted the house.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back