1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

What can I do about this troll, who is from Australia?

Discussion in 'Defamation, Libel & Slander' started by John Roe, Mar 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Roe

John Roe Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    United Kingdom
    I reside in Scotland and a troll called James in real life, is frequently abusing me online.

The reason I know it's him behind the harassment, is because he posted a photo of himself somewhere and I basically did an investigation, and found his Twitter profile. He posted a photo of a dog too on a forum I go on, and at the time, his main Twitter image had been displaying himself and the same dog. He then replied with "Sherlock" to me once, although I can't find the post anymore.

He has a YouTube channel where he wears gloves, hides his face, acts immature, and puts in references in these videos to things he knows about me. He also saved videos of mine and broadcasts these in lengthy live streams, which he then removes. YouTube is slow to respond to complaints, which means he can keep on doing this.

He got my address details a few years ago, and openly passes this information over to people if he knows I've mentioned them. He is also aware that I do extra work in films, which is why he made fake posters on IMDb entries regarding films I worked on, years ago.

Over the past 4 years, he has been creating a multitude of pseudonyms on forums, film databases, YouTube and wikis, basically harassing me over and over again in various ways. For example, when I was live streaming a game in January on YouTube, he came on and made other accounts with disparaging identities, such as "Retard Check" and whatnot. He also posted my address.

I know him, but only via the Internet, and that's because I am a fan of a video game franchise called Resident Evil, and he used to run a website regarding Capcom, which is the company who produce those games. So in fact, I have known him online since 2004. Until 2017, however, I had not came across him for long enough.

I've reported him to my local police three or so times. Thus far, nothing has been done about his campaign of abuse. I even contacted a family member of his through Facebook, and she denied it was him doing this, and she said I need to find out who is harassing me. But I could just tell she was lying from the way she worded all of her replies.

I would appreciate any advice on how he can be dealt with. The dude is a complete radge pot. Nearly every single day, he signs into one particular forum I go on, so he can read my posts. I've set my profile to private, but I see him on the active users menu performing searches.

2. justblue

justblue Well-Known Member

This is a United States law site...but if you were in the States I would recommend staying off social media. Or you could, if you know his address, hire an Australian attorney to send a Cease and Desist letter to him. That may deter him from bothering you...it may not. If you know where he is located you could file a complaint with his local police department.

IMO the most effective way to stop this is to just stay off social media.

John Roe likes this.
  3. John Roe

Thanks for the help, justblue.

Yeah. I could try contacting an attorney in Australia.

Unfortunately, I don't understand legal stuff all that much.

4. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

Some people that suffered the abuse you're enduring deleted their social media accounts and created NEW accounts that gave little or NO personal data about themselves.

In fact, that is EXACTLY how I've always done with any of my social media accounts.

Furthermore, over the last six to nine months, I've chosen to delete the majority of my "nom de plume" accounts because of the antisocial behavior I've observed.

John Roe and justblue like this.
  5. John Roe

He also said he was going to sexually assault my underage nephews in front of my sister, and force her to watch. Giving that he's miles away in the world, I don't take that seriously. Even so, he's not right in the head for saying that.

You can dislike a person and hold a petty grudge against SOMEONE YOU HAVE NEVER MET, but talking like that about kids who are related to me is bang out of order.

I have endured him bugging me for so long. And I suspect he even tried to contact people concerning the films I was in, since he's the only guy that does this sort of stalking. He even used to stalk my contributions on the Horror Film Wiki, by editing the same pages. This essentially subscribes users to the pages, so even guest edits causes the person to be informed of anybody interacting with these articles. Now, that's just sad.

For the future, I won't be putting any unbilled parts on my IMDb profile, etc, nor will I mention my acting work online. He is probably jealous of me into the bargain, and I wouldn't be surprised if he has tons of bookmarks about me on his computer.

That's another thing he likes to pick on. To him, I am just a crappy background actor. He keeps on saying I have fake autism too, because I was diagnosed with PDD-NOS, which doesn't meet the criteria for say, having Asperger's. But regardless, I don't see how this is any of his business. Once people like him start becoming too familiar with you and trying to integrate into your life, and they want to find out every vague thing they can about your activities, that's actually rather creepy.

It's a pity that there's no cost efficient way of dealing with tossers like this prat, or I'd be doing it immediately.

Anyway, thanks for the support! Peter.

6. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

That appears to be a wise decision.

It won't repair what has been done, but it will certainly inhibit the little demon going forward.

If you don't play his silly game, or allow yourself to express any outward displeasure about his little ploys, the critter will soon cease it's stimulus once you fail to respond.

Think classic "stimulus-response" behavior/conditioning (as in Pavlov, meat powder, and his precious pooches).

https://www.simplypsychology.org/classical-conditioning.html

By the way, I love Scotland.

I enjoyed my interactions with the people.
    I also love the scenic countryside, along with the quaint villages.
    However, your winters can be quite daunting for this old, Texan. ;)

John Roe likes this.
  7. mightymoose

mightymoose Moderator

Ignore it. Don't acknowledge it in any way.
    Problem solved.

John Roe likes this.
  8. John Roe

I actually reported him a few weeks ago, to the police.

9. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

I think this thread has run its course.

Closed.

justblue likes this.