What can I do about my neighbors disruptive business?

Alie457

Jurisdiction
Washington
Long story short my husband and I purchased a property in the mountains recently and until now we thought it was a quiet area seeing as we own 10 acres. We were uninformed that our neighbors were starting a business in our residential area for weddings. We have a shared driveway so our houses are close together. It can get very disruptive. I always end up cleaning trash that's not mine and overall it is loud and annoying. There is a lot of people and it disturbs the peace, "guests" come on our property without permission and our neighbors are constantly pushing boundries. (I.E setting chairs, trash and signs on our property) This is not what we signed up for when we bought this property. Is there legal action that we can take? I appreciate any advice

Thank you for your response, if they are violating code what am I supposed to do about it? Call the police?

That depends on what code they are violating. Find out if your area is zoned for a business. If not report it to the zoning commission or ever handles that where you live. If they are violating noise ordinances report it to the police. Same goes for littering.

But I do like the idea of a fence as well.

if they are violating code what am I supposed to do about it? Call the police?

Depends on what code is being violated. Zoning ordinances are almost always local and enforced at that level, so we can't even point you in the right direction without knowing what city/county you're in.

I feel like I'm out of options and I don't know a probable way to go about it

The first and most obvious thing to do is sit down with your neighbors to discuss the situation and your concerns. In fact, it's so obvious that I can hardly believe you haven't done it, but you didn't say anything about it in your posts, so I'm not going to assume. If that doesn't work, then you consult with a local attorney, research zoning and other laws on your own, and/or build one or more fences. You might also review any disclosure forms you received from the seller to see if anything about this was or should have been disclosed.

Back