What are my rights as a tenant should my apartment complex not renew my lease?

Clare

Jurisdiction
Georgia
I have lived without problems in my apartment complex from April 2016 to July 2019. I have been a model tenant, paying rent on time, making no noise, making few maintenance requests. I experienced my first problem in July 2019 when I asked for clarification about a new parcel system that was introduced. The office staff were unresponsive and when I gave my feedback about that in a customer survey, they have not spoken to me since. I have not received my normal renewal letter that we get every year. What are my rights?

A FEW MORE DETAILS: The property management company that owns the apartment complex has a terrible online record, with an F grade with the BBB. This was *not* the original property management company that I signed my initial lease with in 2016. The company was changed without consulting tenants and so I am now in the position of having to negotiate with a non-communicative company which quite frankly looks extremely shady judging by the reviews I have seen.

Have you tried simply asking them about renewing? Typically this happens automatically. No letter is really necessary unless terms have changed.

What are my rights?

Like every other person, you have dozens of legal rights, and it would serve no useful purpose to try to create a list of those rights.

If your intent was to ask whether you have an absolute right to have your lease renewed, the answer is no.

What happened when you called the landlord to ask about renewal of your lease?

Back