What are My rights as a co-owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

roxanna81

I purchased my first home with my boyfriend a little over a year ago. He recently stated that he doesn't want to be in a relationship with my any more. I told him that we need to sell the house and separate everything we own so we can go our separate way. The problem is he doesn't want to sell and doesn't want to leave the home either. As co owner of the home, what are my rights? Can I force him to leave the home? Can I force him to sell? Please advise. Thank you:confused:

This is why we always advised that people in temporary relationships not enter into permanent business deals. You can't evict him, and you can't sell the house. If he fails to make payments because you don't pay your part it will still screw up your credit. Give me a couple hours and I'll see if I can think of something you can do.

You can't force him to sell, but sometimes courts will force a sale. I would ask him to buy your rights to the house and sell them to him. Ask for half of the total amount of the home's equity. If he wants to be a pain, you are within your rights to occupy the house just as much as he is. Feel free to show up at 3 am and make some pancakes. The door's locked? Break it down. It's your door. :dgrin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back