What are my rights and obligations after winning my small claims court case?

LJB1

Jurisdiction
Washington
I recently won a small claims court case in which the judge reversed a transaction (purchase of an RV). The defendant is trying to set terms for how the exchange will occur, and the terms she keeps setting are unacceptable to me. Essentially, we cannot agree on how this is to go down. I have already spent enormous amounts of money that I will not get back, as well as ridiculous amounts of time and stress. As such I am not willing to spend another $100 to rent a car and drive to the location of her convenience and exchange the keys for the money in person. I do not want to meet with her and do not feel comfortable sending her the keys before she sends the money. I would like to know what my legal rights and responsibilities are in this case. Am I allowed to set the terms that are acceptable to me or am I in danger of some kind of legal repercussion if I don't do things her way? Are there any other options I might have? Thank you in advance!

What exactly does the court's judgment say (with any names removed or changed)?

Why would you have to rent a car (much less pay $100 to do so)?

Is the seller a dealer or a private party?

What exactly does the court's judgment say (with any names removed or changed)?

Why would you have to rent a car (much less pay $100 to do so)?

Is the seller a dealer or a private party?

I have to rent a car to drive to the location she has requested for the meeting, which is a couple of hours away. Current rental prices in my area are about $75 for the most economical vehicle plus the cost of gas. Gas probably wouldn't cost a full $25 but is close enough.

The seller is a private party.

The judgment states that the "judgment is hereby granted to the plaintiff against the defendant" and then just specifies the amount that she is to pay me. In the explanation, it says "Defendant had no authority to transfer the vehicle. The vehicle should be titled to ### ####. [My name] does not have a valid title to the vehicle."

I am glad you asked about specifics! I just realized that the judge said nothing about return of keys and title (which I don't have). So that does make me feel as if I have the right to set the terms. But I have no legal background, so I don't know. In the courtroom, the judge verbally said that the "transaction was reversed."

What you quoted and summarized about the written judgment does not support the statement that "the judge reversed [the] transaction." You mentioned an "amount that [the seller] is to pay [you]." Is that amount the same as what you paid her for the RV? Do you have possession of the RV? In the statement that "[t]he vehicle should be titled to ### ####," is that a reference to you or the seller? What was the basis of the court's finding that the "Defendant had no authority to transfer the vehicle"?

What you quoted and summarized about the written judgment does not support the statement that "the judge reversed [the] transaction." You mentioned an "amount that [the seller] is to pay [you]." Is that amount the same as what you paid her for the RV? Do you have possession of the RV? In the statement that "[t]he vehicle should be titled to ### ####," is that a reference to you or the seller? What was the basis of the court's finding that the "Defendant had no authority to transfer the vehicle"?

The judge used the words "reverse the transaction" when she said that the defendant did not have the right to sell the RV, which had belonged to her deceased brother. The judge explained that power of attorney does not extend past death, and as such she did not have the right to sell it and should have gone through probate or something. I agree; what she wrote later did not support the "reverse the transaction" comment but she did say that in court. Yes the seller is paying me back the amount that I paid to her plus court fees. It was her brother who should have titled the vehicle but did not do so. I am more or less in possession of the RV. I have paid the storage fees through 7/17./18. I have the keys. I have the bills of sale and the original title from three owners ago. The RV itself is currently in the park where her brother resided.

Then it's up to the two of you to meet up and exchange possession of the RV (keys, etc.) for the money. The court will expect the two of you to behave reasonably in making such arrangements, and neither of you gets to dictate terms to the other. That you apparently lack basic personal transportation isn't likely to be relevant.

Back