What am I entitled to in divorce from abusive spouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roxcie

My husband & I married in MI., in '08. After the death of my mother, we moved to IN., where he used to live. He told me if I didn't like it here, we would make plans to move somewhere else. After giving it a year and a half, I told him I didn't like it here, & he told me to pack my sh@* & go back to MI.
When we moved from MI., I also left a good paying job, sold MY mobile home & we used the money from that to move to IN., plus put down deposit on apartment, & food etc., until he found employment. He got a job right away, but got fired because he told the boss that he would punch her son in the face if he were there at the time, because he didn't do what he was instructed to do & messed things up. So for a few more months he went unemployed & then got a job at the end of the year, & has no been there 18 mos. He did get a letter from a customer complaining he was very rude & she felt unsafe around him, so she had called her husband to come home. I didn't really become aware until we moved here, & I have been reading, that he is considered psychologically abusive. He has called me names, criticized my grown children, my family members, & has thrown things in tantrum/temper. I always thought bad temper, but the other day he got irritated that I asked him a simple question & he threw the t.v. remote after me (missing me) but when I returned it to him & told him that it was immature & uncalled for, he threw it again after me (missing me again) but took a chunk out of the wall. This is not his first little fit, but it was the most violent. He slammed our door 3x so hard, he broke it. Anyway....we live in an apartment, have no marital assets, no debt, our vehicles are our own & are paid for....we have nothing to fight over...not even kids. I had to quit my full time job here, & go part time so I could attend school to further my education & career. I had to pay for it with MY income tax money & wait for work to reimburse me when I finish in June. Now, I have no full time job or way of taking care of myself until I am finished with school & get a full time job. The other issue is I want to move back to MI., to be near my family & friends & where I have already been offered employment opportunity when I finish school. I have NO money, NO savings, VERY little 401 saved up & he says he is not paying me back any money towards the sale of my home that moved us here etc., however he does have a 401 plan, as well as inheritance waiting for him when his mother passes away some day. He also told me that she isn't giving me any of my money back either. All he has offered at this point is to keep supporting the home, etc., until I am out of school. I want to know on what grounds I can sue him for, etc. I have NO money for an attorney, but plan on doing it myself, but need to know what laws & rights I have to make my divorce fair to ME.
Thank You! :confused:

You would be wasting your time and risking your life staying around the bum.
I'd leave his carcASS as soon as possible.
Forget the divorce, he's a deadbeat.
You haven't been married long enough to get much, assuming he ever gets a dime. Inheritance? The way this critter behaves, someone is likely to kill him before he collects. But, without a lawyer, and being married for such a short time, you're likely not going to be eligible for touching any if his assets.
You're both adults. He was a broken down bum when you married him. Leave him that way, or risk a very bad event in the future.

Sent from my iPhone 4S via AT&T using Tapatalk

She wouldn't be touching the inheritance anyway - unless he co-mingled the funds. Which, given that they're now separated, doesn't seem likely ;)

OP, move on with your life. You won't get alimony etc., and you likely won't get anything at all from any other assets he might own. The truth is, you may need to put your schooling on hold and go back to work now to support yourself - and then continue schooling later on once you're back on your feet.

Thank you for your response. I know I am wasting my time because I have no lawyer. I was told though because of his behavior and that I am working part time, & going to school, that he would have to pay alimony. I just want out, but can't pursue a full time job for 6 more weeks. I can't quit school at this time, it is almost over & I wouldn't get a refund. UGH....I am just blown away that his first wife got 5,000.00 from his mommy when they divorced, & yet I move 400 miles away, & can't get any money.,..just doesn't seem right in this case.

It's not because you don't have an attorney.

It's because you have a very short marriage, and you're willingly underemployed (that's what they'd call it in court). You can work full time - but you're choosing not to (whether that's a "fair" perception - the choice of furthering your education versus working - isn't the point).

Walk away with the one thing nobody else can ever take away from you - your dignity.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back