What am I doing wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbg

Super Moderator
For the last couple of months, for reasons not germane to the discussion, I have been using a laptop at work that is borrowed from our IT director. I occasionally have opportunity to check the new threads and answer a question or two and so I logged in on that computer with a Remember Me.

We're pretty much finished with our reorganization; I will be moving back to my regular office and my desktop computer either this week or early next. Since I will be returning the laptop to the IT director, I have been logging out of all the websites I regularly visit and logging on each time without a Remember Me.

Except for this one. Twice now I have clicked on Log Out, agreed that Yes, I really did want to log out, and been told, All Cookies Cleared! Only to find that the next time I selected this site from my drop down menu, I was already logged in.

I'd really like to be logged out of all sites when I give the laptop back. What am I doing wrong?

Yeah, it is a little hinky.

Have you tried logging out, then clicking on "Today's Posts"? It will direct you to a page telling you that you are not logged in.

When I close my browser, then open it again, I'm no longer logged on. Otherwise, I'm still logged on.

If that doesn't work, I think you'll have to go into your browser preferences and manually delete this site's cookies.

I logged out, clicked on Today's posts, it brought me here, and I am answering this post only moments after being told I am logged out.

I am technologically challenged; how do I delete the cookies manually?

It does depend on your browser. I have a Mac, which is probably not what you're using, and the browsers I use are Safari and Firefox.

However, I checked my son's PC, and for Firefox, you will go to Tools at the top, then click on Options. The cookies are in the Privacy tab. There's a button that says "Show Cookies". From there, you can highlight the cookies you want to delete, or just remove them all.

For IE, you also go to Tools, then Internet Options. I can't find a place to delete individual cookies, but under the General tab there is an option to delete the Browsing History. That should do the same thing as deleting all the cookies.

I hope that works. I don't know enough about networks to know whether or not cookies and browsing history is stored on the network. If it is, then you may need the IT's help.

Good luck!

Here is another. Just go into the documents and settings folder (if in XP) or I think it's users in Vista. There should be a "cookies" folder and you can delete every entry in there. If your IT department has given you direct access you should be able to do a search for this. I'd delete my cookies, bookmarks and temporary internet files folders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back