What a mess!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justme

I am so upset I cannot sleep. I bought a car, financed and insured in my name and included my 20yo daughter on my policy. She gives me the car payment and I pay for her insurance. Friday night I got a call from her stating that her car was stolen! That car meant the world to her. After several hours we determined that it was not towed. I asked her where the car was stolen and she started crying. I assured her that my insurance would take care of things if her car could not be located. I told her to call the police and get a report. She was getting more and more upset. She then confesses to me that she had her license suspended for too many points several months back! But it is now restricted for work and school only. She was at work, but not at the work that is listed on her court papers (she changed jobs). Not only that, but she had also left her license in her glove box! I had no idea! Not only is the car gone, that is enough to deal with, but discovering her licenses was suspended (restricted) was putting me over the edge! I know, this is her problem and something she is going to have to deal with, but the issue I have now is what is the insurance company going to do? Once they find out she drove the car to that location with a restricted license - why my insurance company never found out is beyond me. I soon found out that since I was the registered owner, I would have to file a report. I called the police and they came to my house, I did not lie to them, but I did not tell everything. I just said that my daughter's car was stolen at such and such address and at what time. The police never asked me about who was driving the car and I didn't volunteer the info either. Now, Monday morning I am going to have to call my insurance and tell them the car is stolen, but I am afraid they will ask me the questions that will open a can of worms. It scares me to death. Should I be completely honest with them and tell them everything I know and the wrong things that my daughter did?? And if I do, can they deny the claim? If they pay fair market value and my GAP insurance pays the rest, I will be happy just to break even. And my daughter can get her own car and insurance in her own name and let her learn her lesson. Trust me, I am not finished with her yet. What can I expect from my insurance company (I have a perfect driving record and never have made a claim in the 20 years I have been with them)? Thank you in advance! I would really appreciate any thoughts or advice. Gez, what a mess!

My own reply.

I decided that I was going to "spill my guts" when I go to the insurance agency tomorrow and be upright and truthful. I couldn't live with myself any other way. Honesty is best, even if it means I lose.

How did it turn out?

Hi, I was looking around at unanswered posts in this catagory and saw yours. How did it turn out? I hope everything worked out. Your daughter had been at work, just hadn't updated the location. In a perfect world, this wouldn't have major reprecussions. However, nowadays a minor error can be like wearing a magnetic shirt and going to the hardware store :eek: the hits just keep on coming.

I hope this wasn't the case here. Believe it or not, hearing that something, somewhere, worked out for someone is cause for celebration. I have fingers crossed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back