Went to court, but....

Mad Mom

Jurisdiction
Massachusetts
went to court after i had my apartment inspected and it was found to be illegal. I have lived here over ten years, landlord is a lawyer with forty-plus years in own practice and also owns other properties all over the state. Also a relative. He hired a lawyer and once that happened received no fault eviction notice /30 day notice to quit. I was helped in court by legal assistance agency. I prepared my defense with all types of correspondence, pictures of property, etc. landlord did not want any of this going to trial. Tried mediation, they just want me out and no damages. I kept telling them i want trial. They kept coming back with more offers to settle. We stood in front of judge and judge said, well, since you are disabled, you have a year by what i can give u under the law before u would have to leave. If you would like to speak to your assigned lawyer further, go ahead, and then we can revonvene. we left the court and went back and forth working on an agreement, i did not like it but i was very sick ( i am ill and disabled) and signed it when judge was at lunch.

This is just background info leading uo to my questions....

1) is there any time period that exists to reconsider written agreement we made? From either side? We did not go in front of judge, as we went into court lunchtime and i was sick from my illness, we were there for five hours and at the time it sounded good, but we would have had to wait even longer if we went to trial. I wanted to come back another day, other side said no.

2) are there any specific grounds or reasons to throw out or render an agreement invalid?

3) i probably should have tried to hire a lawyer, i know....is it worth it at this point? If so, should i contact a housing lawyer or a disability lawyer?

Any other info would be appreciated. I feel bad enough as it is about all of this, so please, i am only looking for legal input or suggestions. Thank you.

You were lucky to be allowed to remain as a tenant in a rental deemed unsafe for human habitation, as in illegal rental.

You had a lawyer represent and assist you.

I doubt the outcome could have been better for you even if you shelled out five grand for a paid by you lawyer.

I suggest you begin looking for a legal rental unit.

You should have no trouble doing that with 12 months to accomplish it.

Good luck.

You were lucky to be allowed to remain as a tenant in a rental deemed unsafe for human habitation, as in illegal rental.

You had a lawyer represent and assist you.

I doubt the outcome could have been better for you even if you shelled out five grand for a paid by you lawyer.

I suggest you begin looking for a legal rental unit.

You should have no trouble doing that with 12 months to accomplish it.

Good luck.
Thank you, army judge.

But this written agreement did not go infront of the judge. We did it on lunch. I do not even recall any mention when originally in front of the judge of the unit being illegal. This is why I am concerned. The reason it Is illegal is second egress not appropriate, it can be made appropriate easily and inexpensively. In retrospect, I do not thnk that judge many have had all of he important info. If i do need to move a.s,a.p., that would be fine, as long as landlord footed the bill for expenses, etc. until appropriate housing secured. my concern is, what if agreement is seen as not binding, inappropriate, unethical, even not legal? Other side's lawyer is wet behind the ears.

This is why I am asking these questions. I am not sure judge had all information and this agreement was made on lunch and i was told that it is okay to do this. I really had to leave once agreement signed.

Your thoughts on my concerns woUld be appreciated, army judge.

You signed something.
I don't know what you signed.
But, you were lucky to be allowed to remain where you are for one year.

If I were you, I'd stop looking for trouble, asking questions, or rocking the boat.

I'd begin hunting a new place for me to lay my head and store my things.

If you keep kicking the sleeping pitbull you could get bit.

You signed something.
I don't know what you signed.
But, you were lucky to be allowed to remain where you are for one year.

If I were you, I'd stop looking for trouble, asking questions, or rocking the boat.

I'd begin hunting a new place for me to lay my head and store my things.

If you keep kicking the sleeping pitbull you could get bit.
I appreciate your input, but not your abrasiveness.

I am not looking for trouble. I am looking for answers.

Thank you for your help. But I think I will look for another forum where I don't seem to upset the respondants.

(I suggest anyone reading this do the same, if you want help, but expect to respected in the process).

Thank you for your help. But I think I will look for another forum where I don't seem to upset the respondants.

(I suggest anyone reading this do the same, if you want help, but expect to respected in the process).

I always support the choices others make.

Good luck.

Unless you have a metal illness... Don't use your disability as an excuse. You signed a agreement.... Now you should stick by that agreement. I know for a fact... If i was hurting, felt sick as you have stated. I would have left. It's that simple. I am also a disabled person..

Good luck,
Michael

Unless you have a metal illness... Don't use your disability as an excuse. You signed a agreement.... Now you should stick by that agreement. I know for a fact... If i was hurting, felt sick as you have stated. I would have left. It's that simple. I am also a disabled person..

Good luck,
Michael
I was told that if i left i would default.

I was told that if i left i would default.
You people in this forum are all miserable. I am just explaining my side. First time in court in my over fifty years for anything. If i could delete my posts here i would. I will be sure to tell anyone i know looking for legal "help" online to stay the hell away from THIS forum. Smh.

Back