website hosting and security dispute

graham ohara

Jurisdiction
Massachusetts
+In 2015 I placed a website with a major hosting company. For the first few months everything was going smoothly. Then I received an email from the hosting company stating that my website had been hacked, therefore they had no alternative but to remove my website from the internet. That it would only be restored if I agreed to use the services of an online security company they recommended. I had severe doubts that the events were true but my priority was to have my website available to all prospective clients, therefore I agreed, even though I suspected it was a scam.
I have since discovered that the online security company were business partners of the hosting company.
The monthly payment for this online security quickly escalated to $150 pm. In June 2017 I instructed my bank to cancel the payment through my credit card. On the monthly date of payment for this service I received two telephone calls from the online security service. They were extremely nasty and threatening. That unless I resumed the payment my website was going down. I questioned how they could threaten this action when they were not the hosting company. They asked me if I would agree to resume payment. I refused. They then said once again that my website was going down. Both telephone conversations were similar.
Three days later without any communication from the hosting company my website was suspended and remained suspended until I contacted their support line which is based in India (don`t think Trump would be pleased with that). I had a lengthy chat questioning that though my website had been suspended for many months why was their company still charging me for a service they were not providing. That doing this was not legal. Surprisingly the website was reinstated yesterday.
During another chat with their Indian call centre yesterday their representative upon checking confirmed that my website had never been hacked. That there was a log ticket stating that the site was suspended due some malware files. This confirmed what I had always suspected. It was a scam. I have a full copy of that conversation. Makes you wonder if this is a standard practice with both companies?
Not only am I thousands of dollars out of pocket they have also denied the possibility of substantial profit. They have also ruined my business credibility.
Would greatly appreciate your legal advice. Thanking you in anticipation

When did you discover that you were being charged for the service even though your site was not live?
You MIGHT have an option to try and recover some of that... maybe.
As for loss of profit because the site was down, I doubt you would get anywhere at all with that argument.

The monthly payment for this online security quickly escalated to $150 pm.

Even though the TRIBUTE demanded of you escalated, you continued to pay it.

ASTOUNDING.......

Three days later without any communication from the hosting company my website was suspended and remained suspended until I contacted their support line which is based in India

Did you ever consider having another hosting company, one operating on honest principles, taking over your website?

Did you know you could do that?

Would greatly appreciate your legal advice.

You can attempt to sue these rascals who apparently operate in a third world nation that sits on its own subcontinent.

To bring such a lawsuit, you would have to sue the rascals on their own turf.

You might investigate whether you can sue the pirates in some state in the USA.

Frankly, if I found myself in your position, I'd move on and make money as a capitalist.

If you were ripped off for three years by these scoundrels, you'd be out about $5400 (assuming $150 for 36 months had been extorted from your coffers), that's too much work to chase when I could be making more than that in a day, a week, or surely a month as an aggressive, ambitious entrepreneur.

Good luck.

The hosting company is huge and its head office is based in USA

You, and you alone, must decide what to do, if anything.

It may be huge, but if what you say is TRUE it has no scruples, ethics, or core values; if it allowed a third world based scammer to extort $5400 from you, its customer!!!!

No army judge both the hosting company and the online security company are USA based. They simply use the Indian call centre to save money and avoid using American labor

No army judge both the hosting company and the online security company are USA based. They simply use the Indian call centre to save money and avoid using American labor

All the more reason to stay as far away from scammers of all ethnicities and nationalities, even US based scammer scum.

Back