Webscraping sport match results

Trukerz

Hello everyone,

I write you in regards to an idea of personal project I have in order to learn how to program a webscraper. A web scraper is a script/software reading web pages (as a visitor) with a browser. The robots of Google are an example of web scrapers : they visit each page, they "read" their content and index them.

In my case, I would like to web scrape the match results (team 1, team 2, goals, date, league) of a sport betting website and put them into an Excel file in order to make some statistics and to present them on my personal blog.

My program could surf on the pages at non disruptive rate, like 1 page every 5 seconds. The use of the collected data won't be for business purposes. My source code (for the webscraper) would be open source.

Moreover, I suppose that sport match results are "public" data on the one hand, and I didn't find a visitor/user agreement on the website on the other hand. The only legal notices I could read were in German on the forum as the "terms of services" and don't seem to mention the property of those data. The company is based in the UK.

Therefore, do you think it is completely legal to do my personal hobby project ?

Thank you in advance for your time. Have a nice day.

Best regards,

Trukerz

Last edited:
We don't do UK law here but that would certainly be legal here in the US since all that data is available to the public from a variety of sources. Probably nothing illegal about it in the UK either, but you should check sources in the UK for the answer.

Back