We signed a contract without being specific and going into detail and we are stuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

homie44

Jurisdiction
European Union
I used to work with my partner building houses. After a few years he got into some financial problems and asked me if I can help him out. I sold him an expensive land worth $1.5M in exchange for him building a 5-story building and giving me the ownership of the first two floors. I sell the land, and he pays for the actual construction. A huge favor.

Now my ex-partner got into more financial trouble and now says he doesn't have the money to start building, leaving the land the way he bought it. Now, he doesn't want to give it back to me nor does he want to start building. The problem is, it was not stated on the contract when my ex-partner will need to start construction. It's been now 12 years and he still doesn't want to do anything. I'm stuck with this terrible person who basically took advantage of me and won't give me back my land. It's not his since he did not fulfilled his side of the agreement. This was the situation for the last 12 years now.

What can I do? Any tips?

Despite the drop down menu inexplicably offering a host of non-U.S. options, these boards are for issues of U.S. law only (or, stated differently, no one with knowledge of European law posts here), so the only thing anyone here can do is analyze your situation under general U.S. law (which won't be particularly useful to you) or suggest you consult with a local attorney (or find a legal message board for your country).

Now, he doesn't want to give it back to me nor does he want to start building. The problem is, it was not stated on the contract when my ex-partner will need to start construction. It's been now 12 years and he still doesn't want to do anything. I'm stuck with this terrible person who basically took advantage of me and won't give me back my land.

I suggest you reread and think about what you posted.

You have answered your own question, even in the EU or Belgium.

There is one caveat.

If you gave him title to the land, more than likely the contract means nothing, unless a court looks at equity.

If the matter were to be decided under several theories of equity, there might be a glimmer of hope for you.

However, after 12 years of inactivity, you may have lost any sound argument in equity, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back