We own trailer we didn't know about

Status
Not open for further replies.

confusedinSC

My husband owns a piece of land in a nearby county in SC which he purchased around 1987. When I went online to pay the taxes through the assessor's website, it listed another item...a mobile home that is in his name also. It was apparently purchased in 1998 and someone else has been paying the taxes on it every year. It is not located on his parcel of land, must be somewhere else. Problem is, my husband never purchased a mobile home in this county, never signed anything. So, we are certain it is something his unscrupulous parents did (forged his name, or something). Are there any legal ramifications of them putting things in his name without him knowing about it. If they are using this trailer as one of their rental properties, would any liability befall us if someone were to get injured in this trailer and want to sue? Since it is registered in husband's name, is it legally his? Can we move it and do as we wish with it?
I would like for us to have all our talking points in mind before we confront them about this on Saturday, so any help would be appreciated.

Find out who is paying taxes on it.

Talk to whoever it is and ask them why it is in your hubby's name.

You have scant evidence with which to blame the folks; do a little more digging before you confront them.

Thanks for the reply. The owner info is listed as my in-laws address, so we know that the tax bill is going to their house, so that is why we are convinced they are the ones paying the taxes on it. Also, we have recently found out about them stealing rent money from us for the last 10 years off of my husbands two rental properties. That is why we are apt to distrust them at this point.

Thanks for the reply. The owner info is listed as my in-laws address, so we know that the tax bill is going to their house, so that is why we are convinced they are the ones paying the taxes on it. Also, we have recently found out about them stealing rent money from us for the last 10 years off of my husbands two rental properties. That is why we are apt to distrust them at this point.

:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back