We Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

messenger411

I am writing on behalf of my brother. Not long ago he was arrested for armed robbery. My brother and another young man went into a bank in Ruston, LA demanded cash and fleed the scene. They were later captured the next morning. The most of money that was taking was found before capturing them. My brother was 18 at the time of the crime (turned 19 the day he was captured:(). He has NEVER been in any trouble, this is actually his first time. Being that what's the best thing we can hope for in this situation??

I am writing on behalf of my brother. Not long ago he was arrested for armed robbery. My brother and another young man went into a bank in Ruston, LA demanded cash and fleed the scene. They were later captured the next morning. The most of money that was taking was found before capturing them. My brother was 18 at the time of the crime (turned 19 the day he was captured:(). He has NEVER been in any trouble, this is actually his first time. Being that what's the best thing we can hope for in this situation??

It all depends on whether he was charged in the federal system or the state system.
I'm sure your brother or the local newspaper can supply you with that information.
He COULD get probation.
He MIGHT get prison time.
If he does get prison time, I doubt that he'd spend any more than FIVE years behind bars, maybe even less.
You should work with him and his lawyer to help him get a better sentence.
Good luck.

He's being charged with the state.

That is most unfortunate for your brother.

LA (as do most southern states) treat crimes involving the use of a GUN, very seriously.
He could get between 10 to 99 years, if convicted of armed robbery in LA.
LA does not offer early parole on this offense.
If you get 15 years, you do 15 years, usually at Angola!
His best bet is to get a plea bargain to a lesser (and included) offense.
His attorney should be working this angle.
With his CLEAN record, this is likely.
Now, if he has juvenile charges (and no adult charges), that further complicates things.
Work with him and his lawyer to see if he can get a a "deal".
Cases like this usually take at LEAST 6-8 months before they are adjudicated.

Is he out on bail?

IF he isn't (or he has a $200,000 bail), that tells you how seriously the state takes his case!

According LA R.S. 14:64, a person convicted of armed robbery will be "imprisoned at hard labor for not less than ten years and for not more than ninety-nine years, without benefit of parole, probation, or suspension of sentence."

This means that if you are convicted of this crime, you will end up at Angola for at least ten years, but it could end up being for the rest of your life if people were injured during the alleged robbery or if you have any prior violent crime convictions.

Additionally, you will have no hope of shortening the prison term through parole or probation, as you would with many other crimes.

In short, it is absolutely imperative that he (or his family) finds a qualified Louisiana criminal defense attorney who will work to keep him free or get him a plea bargain.

Armed robbery? He was 18? He should expect to do some time. An otherwise clean record will help him to get an early release, but he should expect prison time.

You didn't specify... was the weapon a gun?

Armed robbery? He was 18? He should expect to do some time. An otherwise clean record will help him to get an early release, but he should expect prison time.

You didn't specify... was the weapon a gun?
I also wonder the same as he is no longer under juvenile jurisdiction. But it may differ in some states.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back