Repairs, Maintenance Water Leaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

resul161

Hey,

Here is my story. About 2 months ago my washer machine leaked, and we fixed it immediately, but after 1 month I got a notice from office saying that my neighbor's mattress at the downstairs was damaged by leaking and they charged me $938.50. When I talked to office guys they told me my insurance doesn't cover this, so I need to pay it.

My question is do I have to pay this or what's my rights?

Please help me.

Thanks...

Per my reference - if the washing machine was yours, any damage from leaking is your responsibility.

You can hold & see if you get other replies.

Ditto what Betty said. You can certainly request proof of the damages before paying. The mattress is subject to depreciation also.

As above, you are responsible for the value of the damage done, not the cost of replacing the mattress.
You can likely settle the dispute for half, but it is the neighbors option to pursue damages in small claims court and let a judge decide if you refuse to pay or can not agree.

Read your lease, by refusing to pay the claim, you might be susceptible to eviction.
Read your lease, discuss the "what if this", "what if that" with the management office.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back