Breaking a Lease Water Damaged Tenant living in my apartment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

anonymousC

question on landlord and tenant rights.

I am a tenant renting an apartment in a building out of town with a lease ending the end of July. There are some personal effects of mine at the location but I do not live there.
I was asked by owner at end of March if another tenant could move in to my place as there is renovations going on in her unit because of a water damage emergency. I said yes.
The water damaged tenant likes my place and wants to stay on. My lease expires at end of July. I retrieved my belongings on Easter weekend, and told owner I have no plans of staying on, just cancelled my responsibility to hydro (landlord said she would be responsible for the hydro, but now says damaged tenant will be responsible and I will have to collect from her).

Question: How does this all work? Am I financially obliged to pay my rent till the end of July if owner does not find new tenant for the renovated water damaged apt? Owner claims this is so and also holds my last months deposit. Or do I need to get the water damaged tenant living in my unit to take over my lease or not, how does this situation work? Am I responsible or not? thanks so much. Regards C

If you are paying on a lease that doesn't expire until July, your landlord can't replace you with another tenant, UNLESS you agree to terminate your lease.

If you desire to terminate the lease, remove all your STUFF within 24 hours of the agreement, make sure it is in writing and is signed by you and the landlord.

You might wish to discuss this with a solicitor, as this is a US focused law forum.
The principles of leasing are similar, as they are base on English common law, but statutes in your provinces and our states ahve tweaked the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back